Acting differently since he's had a cagemate

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jess_w

I got my chin a pal and they've been in the same cage for just over a week now. But since I put the new one in, my old one hasn't been as friendly around me.. he used to come up to me for a stroke under his chin, but now when I put my hand in the cage they both seem to panic and run away from me. It's like he's bonded to the new one and now he doesn't like me anymore!

Do you think I'll ever get him back the way he was, or am I always gonna be second best from now on?? :( They cuddle up to each other but never want me around! lol

Sometimes they do say chins who bond with a cagemate are less friendly with their human owners. I have 2 boys who are cage mates, Mick and Wesley, and they love each other very, VERY much, but they still are very affectionate with me as well. Bobo and GiGi a mother and daughter only have great affection for each other and do want to be bothered with me at all, except of course, for treats. Abigail and Solange are cage mates, but Abigail still bonds very well with me and is very snuggly with me, Solange on the other hand, remains aloof.
Will he always be this way? He might, but since they've only been together for one week things might change.
I always say patience in the most important virtue for a chin owner. Spend as much time with them talking to them and having them both get used to you and hopefully they will both love you as much as they love each other.

I agree with Laurie on this, many chins bond better to their chin pals than humans, so it may just be that way from now on. But just give it some time and maybe they won't act so afraid.

You could try and continue the bonding with you individually by having two playtimes so you get time alone with him :)

Moche was the same way right after he and Shadow moved in together. He is still affectionate with me, but not glued to my side anymore. I felt used and dirty inside. :cry3:

But isn't it funny how we all have to same story? My chin used to love me and now he's got a new lover:kiss:. It's like a mini relationship. We all get heartbroken when our little furballs act more chinchilla-ish.

I had Pip as an only chin for at least three years and he was my buddy and my best lil friend. He's got a sexy girlfriend now (see avatar) named Feeney and they are in love. They are constantly grooming and cuddling and carrying on and I tell them to get a room geesh. I am really happy that he's found someone of his own kind to bond with though but I've definitely been given the boot.

Now I have Zeke who is housed by himself and we have a cozy little relationship and when he's out he sits on my lap, runs up and down my legs and comes right up to my face and gives me whisker kisses. He also doesn't mind being picked up and cuddled; Pip never liked that. I am seriously considering keeping Zeke a single chin so I can have him all to myself, lol.

I say give him time. He's got a new friend and wants to bond with him. Maybe running away from you is like a game to them, who knows?

I've got 8 and 5 of them are single chins. Luna, Pip, and Squeak (Luna being the mommy) are cages together. The twins love attention no matter what, but Luna only wants attention when she sees the twins getting attention or if I got her treat. lol
When Shiloh and Gizmo were caged together, Gizmo always wanted attention. Shiloh never did. Now that they are seperated...Shiloh loves attention. He'll cuddle with you, and demands belly rubs when I get up and before I go to bed. So some chins are better off seperate and some prefer having a chin buddy

Back