Acidophilus

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill of Beans

Sleeps with one eye open.
Since our new chin has been on Baytril - I was told to give him acidophilus with the "highest count" I could find. I found Natures' Bounty Probiotic Acidophilus. Per the label it "contains over 100 million active acidophilus (including the naturally occurring metabolic product produced by Lactobacilli)".
I have a bottle of 100 capsules - and keep it refrigerated.

Here's my question:
How much do I give to the chin? HOW do I give it to the chin? He's eating Timothy Hay (and not pellets - but his mouth is injured).

I am assuming that I open the capsule and mix it with something and use a syringe - is this correct???

You can sprinkle it on pellets, but not a whole lot will find its way into his belly.

There are a couple of other ways--you can break open a shreddie, and pour the powder into half, and give as a treat. The layers of the shreddie hold a lot of it inside.

Or, you can mix it with a bit of water, and use a syringe or medicine dropper. :D That way, you ensure that as much as possible actually makes it inside.

Probiotics need to be given between doses of antibiotic, at least 2 hours after the Baytril.

If his mouth is injured I would definitely do what Sug said and mix it up in a syringe. Perhaps throwing it in with a little hay in the blender to make a Timmy hay smoothie might be good as well (as chunky as you can get it so it will still come out of the syringe). When Nibbler was on Baytril we got probiotics from the vet rather than using acidophilus - i'm not sure what the difference in effectiveness would be. Perhaps someone with more experience can comment on the effectiveness of perscription probiotics versus high-count acidophilus?

ETA: I would empty one half to one whole capsule's worth at a time. Just twist the two ends and pull one end off; the powder can just be poured out.

Meep, you have a wee one named Nibbler, too? Not trying to thread hijack, just caught my attention. I shouldn't be surprised that there's other Lord Nibblers out there. :D

You can find chewable in a 1 billion count at most drugstores or vitamin shops. I prefer it because it tastes good and the chins eat all of it. I paid $6.99 for 100. Break each tablet into 4 pieces, and give one a day. I know the 1/4 is recommended for regular use, but with baytril I am not sure if more is recommended.

I mix 2 grams per 1/4 pound of supplement mix. I feed all chins 1/2 tsp supplement daily.

If you're feeding him Critical Care at all, it has probiotics in it, and if you're not, I would suggest getting some and hand feeding so that he doesn't lose too much weight.

You can add more acidophilus to the CC if you want to as well.

Back