A12,13...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VolunteerChin22

I <3 dustbunnies
Found two babies this morning from a beautiful tan and ebony pair - one is doing well looks like a standard e/c male 45g and the other is a tiny tiny little standard e/c who only weighs 17gs :(

s/he I was so shocked at how tiny it was I didnt check the gender yet appears to have some injury to one back leg - not sure if it was stuck or is malformed - appears red but not really bleeding. s/he is incrediably spunky - peeping at me to get back to mom and very mobile but I am not hopeful s/he will survive. Maybe in a litter of two there's hope.

I am superstitious about 13 (my grandfather died when i was 13 and my dad died on a friday 13th) so tiny one is going to be A12 for good luck.

Will keep you posted on how the little one does.

here is a picture of them and shows how tiny she (I checked this time and pretty sure its a she but hard to tell on something this small) really is!

DSCN1811.jpg

her back foot is missing up to just below the first joint. it seems pretty clean off and some small injuries farther up - i suspect it was stuck somehow. i cleaned it with some peroxide and put a little antibiotic ointment on it. i am kind of at a loss as to how best to do this since she is literally so tiny I am afraid I am going to injure her trying to hold her tightly.

She needs a name...

That is amazing that she is alive at such a low birth weight! I hope she makes it through...that would be an absolute miracle for such a teensy tiny bub to actually survive.

You could name her Big Bertha. That made me laugh because I have a corny sense of humor! :) Lacey would be good...or something that sounds very delicate and feminine.

Well shes still active and attempting to nurse - i think shes getting in there but it takes her so much energy to get there after mom moves around. I took the bigger one out to give her a shot to get in there - the male isnt bothering her but he does seem to inadvertantly take her nipple. ive got the formula ready to go to start handfeeding her...

Very pretty little girl. Sorry to hear she passed away. Best wishes for the other kit and mom.

On the bright side ......she was born at your house where she was taken good care of until she passed. Hugs...

Latest posts

Back