A Step in The Right Direction!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinsChins

I will probably regret making this post, but I feel great right now. I had QUITE a few chins in breeding that didn't need to be in breeding. I didn't know this, but the show last month really opened my eyes. I have permanently taken said chins out of breeding (6!) and have homes lined up for most of them. The females will be monitored, and will go to their new homes in 4 months if they aren't pregnant. It was very hard for me to do, not because I want to breed crap, but because its hard for me to separate chins that have been together. But I feel a lot better now.
Thank you everyone.

Definately don't think you are alone there. Sad thing is there are plenty of people breeding out there that haven't or arent willing to do that.

Isn't it amazing to see things at shows. I've learned enough at two shows to convince me that it's essential if I want to breed. I'm glad you enjoyed your show and are learning.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I didn't really feel bad for having to separate my pairs as much as I felt bad for not starting out the right way. When I went to my first show, I was in shock. I was ashamed of breeding pet quality chins. Shows are a wonderful experience and I'm so glad that I decided to attend one and change things for the better. When you start producing quality offspring, you'll feel one of the best joys out there.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I didn't really feel bad for having to separate my pairs as much as I felt bad for not starting out the right way. When I went to my first show, I was in shock. I was ashamed of breeding pet quality chins. Shows are a wonderful experience and I'm so glad that I decided to attend one and change things for the better. When you start producing quality offspring, you'll feel one of the best joys out there.

Same here.

It's never too late to turn things around with your program if you are serious. It's harder to educate yourself, find quality animals and learn to pair them so as to produce quality offspring but it's worth it when your animals end up placing well at shows.

Not to mention learning is fun, and you can never educate yourself too much. :thumbsup:

Same thing here. Once I went to a show and talked to Dave Woods I took all the chins I didn't think were breeding quality and found good pet homes for them. Then I started getting show chins from well known breeders

I too belonged to the "off to the wrong foot". I won't mention the person but she sold me a violet and a white violet to breed. REALLY?????:impatient: GRRRRR:hair:

That was some years back. I didn't breed them and sold them as pets. However, looking back I can guess this person had never been to a show in her life. ( And I can say with confidence that the violet I bought had fur that stunk! After attending many shows and seeing top quality fur)

Having said that. I am sending along helpful advice to anyone who wants to breed nice animals. Please go to the shows first before you purchase animals and talk to breeders who are show savy and breeding fine animals. Ask them what they have won. What are their goals. Who they buy from to introduce into their lines and what lines those people are working on.
And for gosh sakes understand what comments a judge passes on regarding the fur of the animals winning. To new people attending shows: ask questions. Ask the judge questions. They love talking about chins.
If your animals has faults. You have to improve said faults or cull your breeding pair(s).

Save yourself the wasted money you'll p** away buying from someone who doesn't know what the heck they are doing.
Am I angry wasting my money in the beginning. Your darned right I am! I've always wanted my money back!

I think we all have been there..even now sometimes you bring one to the show you are excited about and..find out it isn't as good as you felt it was. Or you bring one for kicks and it does great...when you are emotionally attatched to the animals it makes it easier to make errors

Back