A question I have....one or two?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinNewbie

So if you have seen the other posts I have written, I'm going to be rescuing a chin(s) for a local rescue. But they asked me if I wanted a bonded pair or just one? and this is where I'm stuck....

I am worried that if I get two, I will feel like I bit off more than I can chew... But then on the other hand if I only get one I will worry that my little one will be lonely...

So I was hoping that I could get some help in figuring out what I should do.

Thanks

Taking care of two chins is not much different than taking care of one, providing they can live together in the same cage. Money wise, it costs very little to feed two as opposed to one as well. Vet care for two, obviously, would be more expensive, but I've never had two chins need to go to the vet at the same time.

The big concern would be can you handle two if they need separated at some point. I absolutely love to see my caged animals in pairs if they are compatible. I think chins entertain each other when you're not home and most chins love to make chin piles. But you have to be prepared for them, at some point, not getting along. That's not saying it "will" happen, but that it "could" happen. Have a spare cage ready just in case, and you'd be set.

I have found that bonded pairs do better with change and warm up to new people faster than single chinchillas.

You're going to want more than one once you have one anyway LOL. As Tunes said though, only if you could support two separate cages since there is always the possibility of a quarrel. Watching chinnies snuggle is so cute!

Get them both!!! I wish I had picked up Shelly's cage mate when I got her. Shelly would squish her. That is how I knew which one was Shelly. She was the chunky one who was squishing her friend. :)
That being said. I have been very lucky with Shelly. She came around very fast and I bond more with her everyday. I love my little puff ball.

When becoming a rescue you want to make sure the animals are taken care of... if you can hadle one then two won't be much harder, if at all. Also it will be an easier transition for the chin(s) if you get them both, and I think by taking both chins everyone will have an all around better experience.

Back