A milestone for a molar-less malo chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almostperfect10

I know some will disagree with this approach, but I wanted to share because I have not read about any other experiences quite like this.

My mom has an adorable, affectionate, almost 10 year-old chin who has had tooth problems for the past 5-6 years. During this time, my mom has become an expert at catching tooth issues (she can tell by the shape of the crumbs her chin leaves) long before most people would even notice, and seeks treatment immediately. In the beginning, it was the just the typical floating/filing two or three times a year. This was no big deal for her chin, who would come home hungry and bouncy after the procedure.

Later though, her chin had several loose teeth that pretty much fell out when they were touched by the vet. Of course we were concerned about the alignment of her teeth, but she seemed so much happier and was able to chew more effectively almost immediately (as in evening of the procedure, never needing to be handfed) after having those bothersome loose teeth removed. Amazingly, she showed no discomfort following that procedure, and the metacam and chloramphenicol she was prescribed were tasty enough that she actually begged for her meds and never needed to be restrained. Repeat this scenario about twice a year and throw in an infected tooth or three sometimes for variety.

A couple of months ago, my mom noticed her chewing strangely again. Off to the vet they went. She and I wondered how many molars her baby even had left. Then answer was three, and all three were loose, badly infected, and needed to go. Of course we cried and wondered what kind of quality of life a molar-less chin could have. Our vet reassured us that he had good luck with this before.

So, you ask, what kind of quality of life can a molar-less chin have? The answer, in our case, is FANTASTIC! It took her three or four days to get used to her new mouth (I think the look on her face translated to "my mouth feels funny"). She finished her course of antibiotics, probiotics, and pain meds, then had a perfect two week check up. She eats 100% on her own. Although long strands of hay no longer work for her, she does well with pelleted food, hay cubes, and dried leaves, herbs, and flowers from the UK (all things that can be eaten with the incisors only). To see her, you would have no idea that she is different from any other chin. She is actually more active and playful than she's been in a long time.

This brings me to her milestone. I decided to put her on the scale a few days ago when I held her. Amazingly, she has made it past the 800g mark! This is the first time she has been over 800g in over two years!!

I know this approach is unorthodox. I know it isn't for everyone. Maybe we're just a really lucky fluke. Maybe my vet should try to publish a case study on her. Regardless, we are thrilled to see her doing so well, and our fingers are crossed that no more molars = no more tooth problems. I just wanted to share our experience since I haven't found much information about chins with no molars.

Does she still have incisors? If so keep a eye on them for over growth. My dream chin is a toothless chin to be honest, and I am not being snarky, its true!

Wow! I am amazed that a chin would do alright with this! :) I have a chin that has had three molars removed because of a jaw infection and he's doing great...the teeth are actually grinding with no issues for well over a year.

You'll have to let us know how he does with this. It makes sense that he could chew up pellets, but hay would be hard for him to chew up for sure.

Wow I thought chins couldn't have teeth removed due to how difficult the op and recovery would be?

So if a malo chin had root expansion, could the teeth possibly be removed then? I ask because I've lost two chins to root expansion malo.

Glad to hear your chin is doing so well though.

I think in this chins case the teeth had either reabsorbed due to infection or there was severe connective tissue disease that enabled them to be loose enough to be removed, I had one that was on his way to having them all fall out, the vet did not know what caused it and he died of complications due to it, but the teeth I was given were shallow with no "root" structure, it was basically a crown with very little under the gum. I looked into full extraction along with other ways such as root canals and apicoectomy (root end removal) but the chance of the chin actually surviving was too low even for me.

This is a very interesting case indeed! I am so glad to hear your chin is doing so well! Thanks for sharing!

I have also have very positive experiences with a molar-less chin who had had root extension malo :) In the end he died of a stroke, but he lived without his molars very successfully and hoppily. The molars needed to be removed in stages as my vet said otherwise it is too much for a chin to handle all at once.

back when I posted about my chins having root elongation, everyone said nothing could be done, and that I should have them pts...... are you saying that something could actually have been done to save them after all?

I feel sick :cry3:

No. This is an extremely unusual case. There is no cure for dental root elongation that has been proven sucessful with clinical evidence.
One anecdotal story is just that - the reality is that, although the chin is showing obvious signs of improvement, this story is not proof that molar removal/loss is beneficial for chins with dental problems.

There are many complications which can occur & unless a chin with molars removed has serial xrays etc then there is no way to know what is happening below the gum line.
Infection in the peridontal pockets can occur, osteomyelitis, impacted food .... the list is long.

I've had chins who suddenly started piling on weight & eating normally after their lower roots broke through the jawline - this is not uncommon - but it is not a cure & the chins generally die of complications of tooth issues - unfortunately, that is the reality for every chin with tooth root/elongation/molar loss issues. There is no cure at the present time.

Let's be honest, if there was then we'd have documented evidence & vets would not be doing dentals on other small rodents either - rabbits have similar issues & they have been researched on (in veterinary terms) for far longer than chins ........

Molar removal is risky and I would not put a chinchilla through the procedure - it is painful & the outcome is not certain. A molar that falls out is a different matter and every chinchilla is different. Some do well for a period of time and some do not.
Surgical removal of molars, combined with the other associated risks, make it a no-no as far as I am concerned.

I have one of my favourite chins going through dental issues at the moment - if there was a cure I'd be jumping to it with her, but there isn't.

back when I posted about my chins having root elongation, everyone said nothing could be done, and that I should have them pts...... are you saying that something could actually have been done to save them after all?

I feel sick :cry3:

The chin in this thread had a condition where the teeth basically fell out when touched, there have been "loose studies" that this can also be a scurvy like condition where the connective tissue dissolves and the teeth fall out, its apples and oranges comparing it to malo/elongation chins, where the teeth are firmly in place and mandibular and maxillary bone often is damaged during removal, infection goes rampant, bone dies etc, if the whole tooth is removed at all, I am pretty confident I have looked into every single treatment some mainstream some out there, tried just about all of them and I can also say there is no cure.

I cannot speak about the condition of this chin's roots because she had not had x-rays for years (at which time root problems were very minimal), and I did not see the teeth that were removed. Like Dawn said, she probably had a combination of soft tissue disease and infection that rotted the roots away. In her case, removal of teeth was not at all traumatic. This would not be the case for all chins with tooth issues.

Our plan of action was to float her teeth as soon as it became necessary. During that procedure, the vet would remove any teeth that were obviously problematic (loose teeth or severely infected teeth). Eventually, all of her molars became obviously problematic and had to go.

Should we ever have another chin with these particular symptoms, I would not hesitate to allow removal of the affected teeth. This little girl has shown me that molars aren't a necessity. Just as lazy chewers don't use their molars, she also gets by just fine with incisors only.

Back