a little bummed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catem777

I just need to vent a little...It seems like most people around me think I am stupid for getting a chinchilla. My dad thinks I am going overboard by trying to keep my room at 70 degrees so he will be comfortable. He thinks I am just being crazy and that it is too cold. I tried to explain it all to him why he can get overheated so easily, he didnt understand. They say your thermostat must be wrong because it is way too cold in here. It is driving me crazy! My mom thinks it is cruel to keep him in a cage and she thinks that it is not a good animal for a pet.She says that I will never get anything from the relationship like I would from my dog, that i will just feed him and clean his cage.They say I am doing way to much for a "rat" as they call him. I try to ignore them because I know they just dont understand but I am just getting stressed out trying to make sure Cosmo is safe and everyones criticism isnt helping me mellow out. I know I have to be patient with him to build a relationship and trust and I know he will never be like my dog. I dont know what to expect from him , I am just excited to see how our bond can grow. Does anyone else have this problem with loved ones?

I fight constantly with my parents over my two chins and I've had several screaming matches with them.

(In fact, while I was helping transport a chinchilla from New York to Florida, the chin in question had to stay in my basement for about two hours. My father came home early and flipped out, threatening to kick me out of his house and screaming at the top of his lungs and pretty much just acting like a big butthole.)

Chins are not well understood by the general population, and because of that ignorance, people will not understand. You need to stick to your guns because, in this situation at least, YOU are in the right. You are properly caring for an animal that is too often unintentionally abused. Don't ever feel bad for a second.

I dont live at home, so I dont care what people say. They roll their eyes at me, and make comments, but I just tell them to kiss my behind, but in not so nice terms. I say " I would never tell you to skin your birth child, why would you ask to wear my fur kids" because I usually get the fur coat comments. But my parents are not the one making the comments. It is usually so called friends.

My husbands buddies think I am crazy and often peeking in the chinchilla room to show I am nuts. Marshall likes them and I am happy. So people can think what they want. I could care less

Yes I will just have to ignore them and my parents dont really care because I am paying for everything and I have a window unit so keeping it cool wont jack up energy bills too much. And they dont have to be bothered with caring for him either.It just feels good to get out my frustrations every once in a while. Maybe with time they will get to know Cosmo and he will weasel his way into their heart hehe.

Not everyone understands the love of a rodent. Some people don't understand why people love cats when they tend to be more aloof than a dog. What matters is how you feel. And of course a chin will never be like a dog, they are totally different animals. Hopefully in time your parents will see how much your chin means to you. I'm a grown adult woman and many people find it odd I have 9 chins living in my bedroom with me, but they also know how much my chins mean to me, just because they don't share the same love does not mean they don't understand how much I love them and how much they mean to me.

My husband gives me a hard time. He does like the fact i keep the house cold now. But he thinks i give to much attention to my chin and I buy her to many things. But when I am not looking he gives her treats * even thou i tell him not to because she already had her treat for the day * He says he don't like her and she is " what ever " But he does. He is a closet chin lover. LOL

I printed out literature for my parents to read when I brought Chloe home last weekend and my mom never read it and refused to have a discussion about the AC. She basically stomped upstairs and went into her room for the rest of the night. And then to make matters worse, her sister tells her that her kids used to have chins and that I was overreacting and they are not as fragile as I made them out to be. I never remember my cousins having chins and never heard anyone talk about them so I have a suspicion they didn't live or have them too long, but I don't know for sure.

I have this one friend that will never stop ragging on me for what he thinks is overreacting. I feel like he never takes anything I say about chins seriously and it infuriates me to no end.

That being said, my folks and my friend have both spent time with Chloe and like her, and have been entertained by her. But still they think I am crazy. Sometimes I can't handle people, I can relate to your gripe. Some people you just can't reason with and get them to see the truth.

When people give me crap I get all scientific on their behinds. They don't understand but they sure as heck aren't going to comment anymore.

I have a dog and a cat and up until a few weeks ago...a hamster who has since passed. Since getting Handbag three weeks ago, I have never heard so much negativity about how high maintenance he must be and how tied down I'll be, etc., etc. My co-workers have even gone so far to call him my little money pit :(

Anyway, I have always been my own woman and don't give them the time of day. I'm just amazed that anyone would make the comments that they do. They have no idea how much fun these little critters are!

Most of my coworkers were excited when I told them. They ask me how he is almost everyday I work.I'm sure they think he is high maintenance but what pet isnt? thats why they are pets for us to take care of them in exchange for their love and company :). There was one person who said that chinchillas are mean and that they bite! I asked her where she got this impression from and she said when she was little(about 10 or so) her friend had one and it was very mean and it would bite. To me this explained it all lol. That little girl probobly tortured that poor chinchilla and she didnt even realise it heh.

This is why I prefer my pets to people sometimes! I have friends and family that run both sides of the gammet. My mom gets mad when I tell her I can not come up to visit because I have no one to watch the chins and my friends think I am nuts when I call home to check on Herby, my malo chin, when she is on meds or when I have to leave a party early because I have to hand feed her. My dad freaked out the last time I took her to their house because I had to have it cooler than 80 degrees in the house. It was for 2 days, how high could the electric bill have been for 2 days?

And when they find out how much money I spend on them, they look at mt like I have suddenly grown another head or something. I have been told it would be cheaper to put Herby to sleep than it is to spend hundreds of dollars to file and clip her teeth every few months. And maybe it would, but I have the money and her roots look good for right now, so why should I when she is up and back to normal after a day or 2? I wouldn't ask them to put my mom to sleep and her medical bills are way higher than Herby's are. ;)

People can sometimes be cruel and heartless, but usually it is because that they do not understand the love that a pet, such as a chinchilla can bring to your life. Nothing beats going in to the chin room after a hard day dealing with the kids and school and just watching them play in the play pen or run to the bars of their cage for a nose kiss and a scritch!

Stick to your guns and continue to educate them and maybe one day, they will come around and love Cosmo as much as you do!

I have the opposite at home, John always second guesses anything with the chins that I do, like is it safe, should you be doing that and not a vet, are you sure its not too hot, is the dust dirty since Rocco only bathed once....and cutomers LOVE the chins, its like they have a fan club.

They say I am doing way to much for a "rat" as they call him. I try to ignore them because I know they just dont understand

My dad says the same thing, about the chinchillas being high-maintenance "rats." He doesn't understand when all they do is "sit there and throw poop all over your room." Thing is, I know that I get as much, if not more, from their playtime than they do. I know that they are wonderful and hilarious and sweet and dynamic and feisty animals, and while they may throw poop all over my room, I know it is well worth it for all the smiles. Anytime you are having a hard time ignoring the criticism, spend some time with your chin or think about the last adorable thing he did. Remembering how great chinchillas are makes it easier to ignore the nay-sayers in my experience.

My buddy constantly ask if he can put one on a skewer and cook it.... but They're growing on him the more I take them out and let him hold them. My folks think I'm nuts for having boutique rats, but they don't give me to much grief. I more so than anything else just get laughed at for the custom cage and the effort I've put into them.
Its just ignorance really... people are affraid of things they Don't understand so They're quick to criticize. Don't let them get to you, Just stand Your ground.

I was one of "those" until I owned a chin. Sometimes you just have to experience to understand.

I don't get much opposition to owning a chin but I do for owning a pigeon. They too are misunderstood. They make great pets though.

Some people just don't understand. I run the Lab Rescue in Nova Scotia and have 3 labs of my own, plus a salt water tank (my husband's) and a human that is almost 6 (he calls them his "chilla's"). When I put them on my facebook page so I could post pictures here everyone immediately assumed I took them into rescue. When I said I adopted them I got the "are you crazy" from everyone. I've dropped probably $1000 on them already in about a week and a half and my husband just shook his head and made me furniture.
I just tell people "I adopted them, they are part of our family now and will live as part of our family" I am very passionate about once you take an animal you are responsible for it!! And need to be responsible about it!! so I say :neener: to all of them and I love my new furballs!! POOP and ALL!

The only comments I've had regarding mine is the commitment. I'm 23, and about to finish my masters in Liverpool and my parents feel that I'm at the wrong age for a chin. Maybe when i was 15/16 would have been ok, or maybe when I'm settled. But in their opinion the fact I have to be home to feed him and look after him instead of being able to just drop everything and go on adventure is stifling. I understand their point...but i don't have these opportunities that they think i'm missing out on...and my landlord has no issues with pets.

So many people meet him and go ''awwww'' and my parents think he's hilarious and they dote on him loads....the rats however...different story.

Back