A few questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Loyal

Ok, I have had thin chinchilla for a month or so now but I don't think she is happy! I rescued her, her owner did not have time for her and no longer wanted her. The owner did not know her age but she was though tto be between 5-7 years old and she is a comman dusted gray.

Her owner had a wire bottom cage and she has this foot problem, reading online it says that it is the wire bottom cages fault and it will never go away. Is this true? It's Bumble foot.

Do Chinchilla's like snow? I live in Sweden so we have quiet a bit of snow and often. I read Chin's don't like water but they lived in a place with snow so do they like that?

Also I was reading for the grooming of her, someone said if she gets clumps to pull them out, doesn't this hurt her? She has a clump on her stomach it isn't hurting her but I would like to get rid of it without hurtling her and I don't want to cut her fur since I could snip her if she suddenly jumps.

If your chin has bumblefoot, that is an infection in the foot and your chin needs to go to a vet to get antibiotics to make it better. Would you like to have infected feet? And wire bottom cages are not at fault for bumblefoot. I have wire bottom cages and have never had an issue. Bumblefoot comes from sitting in dirty bedding or shelves. Please take your chin to a vet if you think it has bumblefoot, to make sure that's what it is.

No, chinchillas do not like snow! Don't put your chin outside or give it snow, that's just asking for them to get wet. And just so you know, there is no snow where chinchillas are native to. They live in a cool, dry desert. They aren't running around in the snow up there.

If she has clumps of fur, you can pluck them out. It might hurt a little, but if they are to the point that it's uncomfortable for her, you need to take them out. Otherwise they will eventually work themselves out. As she sheds, the clump will become loose so that you can just gently pull on it and it will come off.

If you have only had her for about a month she could still be adjusting to the new sights and sounds of your house. Give her lots of chew toys and hay if you think she is bored. It might take a while but eventually she'll warm up to you and wont seem unhappy.

Alli is correct and if she does have Bumble Foot she will need medicine to fix it.

Definitely no to outdoors for your chin. They run very fast and she could get away from you and the cold weather and snow would definitely kill her.

Make sure you are giving her dustbaths often and that will always help with her shedding and getting the matted fur out of her stomach area.

It will take some time for your chin to get used to you. They are curious creatures and do have good memories. Be patient with her, sit by her cage and talk to her. Try not to pull her out of her cage a lot and give her time to adjust to living with you.

I have a chin who went absolutely SPASTIC everytime I got near the cage when I first bought him, to the point where I thought he would hurt himself. I thought he hated me. Its been a year, and now he comes to the door when I'm handing out treats and will even let me pet him lightly (sometimes). So yes, it does take time, but it can be done.

If your chin has bumblefoot, that is an infection in the foot and your chin needs to go to a vet to get antibiotics to make it better. Would you like to have infected feet? And wire bottom cages are not at fault for bumblefoot. I have wire bottom cages and have never had an issue. Bumblefoot comes from sitting in dirty bedding or shelves. Please take your chin to a vet if you think it has bumblefoot, to make sure that's what it is.

No, chinchillas do not like snow! Don't put your chin outside or give it snow, that's just asking for them to get wet. And just so you know, there is no snow where chinchillas are native to. They live in a cool, dry desert. They aren't running around in the snow up there.

If she has clumps of fur, you can pluck them out. It might hurt a little, but if they are to the point that it's uncomfortable for her, you need to take them out. Otherwise they will eventually work themselves out. As she sheds, the clump will become loose so that you can just gently pull on it and it will come off.

Alli is right. Chins are not suppose to go outside, I know in the wild they live outside, but when the are domesticated bringing them outside can kill them, I actually don't know what they can catch that will do it, but I know it can kill them. So please don't bring her outside.

ALso like Allie said, bring her to a vet, and if you keep using the cage with the wire bottom, get a piece of kd pine and put it on the bottom so their little feet can rest from the all the wires.

And chins do lose fur, so if the clump is lose, yes you can pull it out, but if it's not ready to come out, wait a bit, or it might just fall out on itself. Mine do and sometimes I pull them out if they are lose, or just wait for them to fall out. Some people groom them with brushes or combs (sorry not sure which one) but personally mine don't like it, and I don't show so I let it go.

Good luck with her feet, hope you get her to a vet a get them healed

jean

Chins cannot go outside. Bumble foot needs meds or it can and will become a big problem. If after the bf is treated the feet are splitting etc. you may want to change up some of the surfaces in the cage and use bag balm for his feet.

try just sitting by the cage and reading to him. Or take the chin into the smallest room in the house (bathroom etc.) and let him have his play time in there. Just sit on the floor and let him explore you. It takes time and sometimes it isn't easy...but in the end even a little bit of progress will make a big difference!:heart3:

Latest posts

Back