A Few of the Growers

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vyxxin

RAF Chins
This year we (by 'we' I currently mean 'I') did some major herd reorganization. Selling roughly half the herd, then regrouping what we had left and purchasing a sparse few in addition. SO, it's been about two seasons since I got to go to show (two babies in two years) and I desparately need to get a good assessment of where my herd is and where it needs to go! This year is the first time I'll be showing ebonies and beiges as we've not worked with those colors in quite a LONG time and never showed any. So, without further ado, here are this seasons top pics for show (in April) Yeah yeah, they're mostly just babies :) but hopefully by April they'll be show stoppers! Or, at the very least, give me a good idea of where my pairings stand!

Attachments

• 100_1372.jpg
    100_1372.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 100_1373.jpg
    100_1373.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_1380.jpg
    100_1380.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_1383.jpg
    100_1383.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_1384.jpg
    100_1384.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 77
Wanted to add, first is a four month BV male...flash must've made his belly shine as none of these photos are enhanced. All others are around 2mos of age. One mosaic female, one ebony white male, one beige male, one ebony male...can anyone tell it's been a "male year" for me!

LOL! Thanks everyone, he's not staying but I liked how he looked at weaning time and figured I'd better hold him over for show. After that, off to a new home...can only use so many mutation males...actually...all but the beige male will be going to new homes after the show! I'm just holding them over so A) I have a decent sized show string and B) a lot of these kits came from "new pairs" so I want to see if those were good pairings

GodofGods- take note of the middle pic, fleece ledge, those are in ALL grower cages. My breeding cages all have fleece liners...everybody gets hanging toys pretty frequently...from me and other forum members...I treat my chins more "petish" than a lot of breeders ;)

Saphire- certainly looking forward to the show! I've been "out of the loop" too darn long and so many faces have disappeared...it'll be nice though to meet some new faces ;)

We have spoken over the phone when I started and it was a wonderful call. I appreciated everything you did for me at the time and definitely did not expect that much from you. :)

Ange!! If you don't have a buyer on that bv keep me in mind ;) I'm a sucker for the blacks!! I too am revamping my lines so haven't shown much at all lately... So count me into the out of the loop group these days! Lol

Saphire, I think I vaguely remember...I've dealt with SO many wonderful chin people in the 8 years I've been into chinchillas it's hard to remember everyone. Some I've dealt with for breeding stock chinchillas, some I've dealt with for rescue help, some I've dealt with for chinchilla products (everything from fleece to runs and hanging toys in between) One thing I've learned in all my time, it doesn't matter how many bad chin owners there are...the chinchilla community is very tight knit and a large majority help whenever they can. I'm glad that I did talk to you, and even happier that it was important enough for you to remember. I've really tried to do right by the chinchilla community and by my herd. I've gone through a lot with and for chinchillas and am reminded from time to time how rewarding just having friends from this group is. Anyhow, sorry for my sentimental rant :) I can't wait to meet you. I'll probably be the only one in a black coat, but I'll be there ;) we'll be bringing a basket for raffle, a dessert (or two...maybe three Mish?) for dinner, and a full show string.

Speaking of Meg, don't judge too harshly when you see all my animals take 2nd's LOL! In reality, I don't think they will...but I'm also smart enough to realize I may be a bit barn blind after two years w/o a show under my belt! I surely hope not, we shall see! Roger is overly critical of the black, but they always were HIS thing :) The first white I expect to take a first...maybe better...the ebony white, I'm not sure...at certain angles he looks clear as a bell at others...he looks like he's got a yellow stripe. Could be housekeeping...could be genetic...now that he's off and weaned by himself we shall see which within the time it takes for show to slowly get here. The beige, again, looks very clear but I don't know what I'm looking for as far as show qualities in a beige. He's got good fur, and is clear...but is he the right color? Darkness? I don't know. Size and shape, we shall see. He's doing alright for his age though. Last but not least, ebonies. Mother was very nice sized as was father...both 700-800g. I'm worried about the brownish/reddish look to their bellies...not sure if it's a bad sign at their age or not? Have never done ebonies for show. Haven't done them regularly in quite some time really. So yeah, total crap shoot for me. At least I'll get some good feedback on where I need to go.

Here we are 2mos later and 3mos from show. The black velvet, the mosaic and the eb white. They're my top picks for show at this point.

Attachments

• 100_1694.JPG
    100_1694.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_1695.JPG
    100_1695.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_1680.JPG
    100_1680.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_1685.JPG
    100_1685.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_1688.JPG
    100_1688.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 26
Here are new pics of the beige male and ebony male...also his bet up sister...as you can see from the scar fur and mutilated ears :( she won't show well but she's the clearer of the two and I hope she grows out nice enough to use in breeding.

Attachments

• 100_1682.JPG
    100_1682.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_1690.JPG
    100_1690.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_1678.JPG
    100_1678.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 23
Finally, this little guy will be a bit younger than I'd like to show at the time of the show but depending on how he grows out I may take him just the same...he's got the odd "brown diamond" which I hear is common though we have never experienced it here before. His full sibling did not have it. He's quite red yet, and itty bitty (was born in Nov. I think) but we shall see!

Attachments

• 100_1701.JPG
    100_1701.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_1703.JPG
    100_1703.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_1704.JPG
    100_1704.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back