A/c for chins in closet.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie172006

So I want to keep my chins nice and cold but I don't want my ac in my apartment running at 65-70 all day while I'm not there so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy one of those portable ac units from Walmart and just set it up in either my closet on bath room with the door shut?

Can you post a picture of the ones you are thinking of? Also, where do you live? Location can limit what kind of AC unit will work (eg. air coolers can suffice in some places short term but not in other because of humidity levels).

Honestly though, nothing beats a good AC unit. Having a temp controlled room for your chins is one of the musts when you have chins, it's part of the parcel and something you can't skimp on. You skimp, they die. It's something that someone (ideally) should take into account before purchasing a chin

A window unit is usually best. The smallest one at Wal-Mart, the Haier 5,000 BTU, will cool down an entire room. They are also pretty energy efficient, so it won't cost a fortune to run. If you have a bedroom or office that you can put a window unit in and close the door that would be best.

Here is one I was looking at.
http://www.imarketcity.com/frfr5btupoac.html

But just to be clear the ac will be on when I'm home but I like to turn it off while I'm out so I planned on buying an ac/dehumidifier for my walkin closet or bathroom and just roll my chins in there while I'm out.

I live in texas so cooling my apartment to below 70 during the summer months is next to impossible due to the cost and over working the a/c I would hate to come home to my a/c out and my chins overheated or worse during the 105+ degree days. So I figured it would be safer to move them to a smaller room while I'm out.

I was thinking if a set up like that would work the bathroom would be best since I could connect the exhaust to the bathroom exhaust vent.

If you run the condenser to another room or up into the exhaust fan, you're going to heat up the rest of the apartment. The condenser will heat up another room and your apartment and make the other air conditioner have to work harder...and the exhaust fan will draw in hot air from the outside (from under the door, cracks around windows, etc) and help to heat things up.

Do you have an attic or some other place you could route the condenser from the portable unit? Or is there a window that will open to the outside in a room that you are willing to keep the temperature so low?

This time of year I usually don't keep it so cold, it's about 72 to 74 nowadays in with the chins. Could you keep your apartment at 75 or below? Would that work for you?

Oh, another thing just popped into mind. When you do find a set up that will work for you, ensure that your chins aren't getting the direct fan blast as that can cause upper respiratory infections. I keep my portable AC pointed away from the cage, which doesn't effect the temperature of the room is any bad way, just keeps my chins from getting fanned (which, as we all know, doesn't help them in the least)

Back