A breath of fresh air?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chintastic!

Ok, lately its been really nice around here like low to mid 60's with an average humidity of 35 perceent. So last week my mom decided to turn off the air conditioning, which wasnt a big deal because the chins are in the basement and its several degrees cooler down there all the time.
However while she was downstairs she opened the window in the chin room. I didnt know this for several hours before I could close it. I told her not to open it, she then told me she had been doing this since we turned off the AC. I havnt noticed any ill effects, but do you think this will harm them in anyway. Because of the window location and the way the room is designed, its mostly under ground, the window is small and doesnt let in light. Their cages are on the opposite side of the room from the window. There is also a deck about 10 feet above the window opening so there is hardly any light that comes in to begin with. She thought she was doing something good by giving them "fresh air."

Also, how cold is safe for a chinchilla? My chins have been moved to a different room that is not insulated because were remodeling. This winter I am worried that it may get too cold for them. Right now, because it is underground as I said, it is very cool. I also have a dehumidifier in their room, and a fan that is on the opposite side of the room that sits on low and blows a few week away from the wall into it, just to keep the air circulating. This will obviously not be on in the winter, but I am wondering if i should look for a space heater or something, in case it gets to be like 30 degrees or lower in that room.

Thank you in advance.

A comfortable temperature for a chin is between about 60-70 degrees.
I would buy a thermometer for the basement ASAP - I bought mine at Walmart for $10.
They also have one that measures both temperature & humidity.

55 degrees is too cold - so if your basement gets 30 degrees & lower.. move them upstairs! They'll freeze! :shocked:

I prefer letting nature cool down my apartment. So when the weather conditions are right I open up the windows. My chins LOVE the fresh air, they can tell the difference, and they get extra rowdy during playtime. Wild chins are exposed to fresh air 24/7. I just make sure that their cages are positioned so that they don't have a strong breeze blowing on them constantly. I monitor the outside temperature and if it's going to be too hot at a certain point in the day or too windy/cool I just close up the house and turn the AC and/or heat on as necessary.

Constant Drafts are bad, but a little moving air for a few hours should be fine. And Ditto to what was said about the tempearature. I spent $10 at walmart for my thermometer that tells me Temp. and Humidity. Hope this helps.

Agreed - I notice no problems at 50-55 degrees, in fact they seem happier.

You need fresh air to circulate into a room just as you need air to circulate out. Windows open would not pose a problem unless they created direct drafts or let predators in, so long as the temp outside was appropriate.

I also agree that 55 is not too cold. I have my chins at 50 often during the winter since I hate using heat (it dries out my sinuses like crazy).

My chins stay between 50 and 55 in the winter, sometimes it'll drop as low as 47. My chins have all been fine and actually seem happier and more active the colder it gets.

Open windows to let in fresh air or natural light are not a bad thing. Chinchillas don't live in caves in the wild, you just don't want them under direct sunlight because their fur absorbs heat really fast. Having natural light in their room is not harmful to them in any way. Also, having an open window on cool days is a good idea. Like mentioned, the chins enjoy the fresh air and different scents that come in. The only thing you don't want is a constant draft on them for days...which an open window and/or nature won't give you.

I guess I should have said that I myself open the windows when its cool outside, but I just wish that she would have told me so we could moniter the temperature better. My dad used to open the windows in their old room when it was like 80 degrees, I came home and just about bit his head off. I know that the fresh air is ok, I was just so angry at the time, and mostly scared that it may still be to hot at certain parts of the day... I looked at the temperature readings for the last 3 days and its been in the low 70's but is cooling down. I was also worried that it could rain in the window because she forgets to close it, which is how I found out that she's been opening it.

They have been in temps as low as 50(?) maybe 2 or 3 drgrees cooler in winter before and they dont seem to mind, but being as the room is not insulated I dont know how cold it will get. I have a thermometer in the room attached to theirs, I am probably gonna move it. It is really our storage room, we cleaned it out so its clean again, lol. Now my dad is working on finishing the rest of the basement. They will hopefully be back in their old room by next spring/summer. Thanks for all the help!

Back