50 lbs for 5 chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillygizmo

My kids have 4 feety's
Im buying in bulk for the first time. I am going to be slowly switching from oxbow to PRCS. If I buy the 50lb bag, will I be able to use it before it goes bad? They each get a little more than a tbsp a day with free feed on hay.

Anyone have this many chinnies to feed and buy 50lb?

You most likely won't use up 50 lbs with limiting their intake. Is there a reason why you are limiting their pellet intake and not free feeding? I normally suggest just letting them eat as much of the pellets as they can, chins are pretty good about not over eating.

Does the PRCS by any chance come in 25 lb bags? If they do, that would be a better option for you.

I am just guessing how much I give them haha. It could be more or less. By the time I refill the next day there are still a few pellets left so to keep it fresh I just give them as much as they seem to eat.. maybe its more like 2tbsp. If I put to much in, it winds up with poo in it! Hah! 3 of my five chins do engorge themselves in pellets and stay away from hay. Layzo's

if you find yourself with a lot of pellets left from that 50 pound bag once you are near the expiry date, you could always donate it to a rabbit or chin rescue in your area :))

if you find yourself with a lot of pellets left from that 50 pound bag once you are near the expiry date, you could always donate it to a rabbit or chin rescue in your area :))

Your right! Why didnt I think of that!!! HAHA thats so sillyyyy

Once you open the bag I wouldn't keep it longer than 4-6 months. I doubt you would go through half the bag by the end of the fourth month. I also wouldn't freeze nor refrigerate the pellets, just store it in an airtight container in a cool/dry place to keep it as fresh as possible. Donating to a shelter is a great idea. :thumbsup:

Even with that much left over It will still be 4x cheaper then oxbow!!!

I forgot to add I have two fat rabbits ! Ill def go through most of it!:tease:

Chins and rabbits and pellets Oh my!

I haVe 8 chins and 3 lop eared rabbits, we go through about 50lbs per month. You should be fine. Seems like the rabbits eat much more than the chins and the nutritional info is about the same. I'll feed my rabbits the Oxbow chin deluxe, but I wouldn't feed chins rabbit food! Their systems are way to particular. What I have found is the rabbits have a very nice soft coat :wink2:!!

Hope it helps!

Is there a reason why you are limiting their pellet intake and not free feeding? I normally suggest just letting them eat as much of the pellets as they can, chins are pretty good about not over eating.

I measure out my pellets so that I can keep track of how much they're eating. When I initially started the process I gave them way more then they needed, and slowly cut it back until I figured out how much they were eating per day. I've found that my adults eat roughly 2 tablespoons a day, and my growing kits eat 3 - 4 tbsps. If I were to notice that the bowl was completely empty one morning I would increase the amount of food. However I still consider my feeding practices to be 'free feeding' because each cage always has excess hay, pellets, and supplement in the morning. The chins are eating as much as they want, and not running out between feedings. I like knowing how much they eat because if I see a significant change it can help with detecting illness.

Once you open the bag I wouldn't keep it longer than 4-6 months. I doubt you would go through half the bag by the end of the fourth month. I also wouldn't freeze nor refrigerate the pellets, just store it in an airtight container in a cool/dry place to keep it as fresh as possible. Donating to a shelter is a great idea. :thumbsup:

What is wrong with freezing pellets?

freezing causes condensation in the pellets once they are pulled from the freezer. moisture/condensation can cause mold.

Well crap. I froze about 15 pounds of food, and I just got the last 5lbs out of the freezer today. I thought it preserved the nutritional value. Besides getting a Chin Spin too early, this has been my second new chin owner mistake.

The guy at the co-op where I buy mine said to just store it in a dry place, in the bag, rolled tight and to portion out what I need for a few weeks at a time. Pellets are mainly hay, and hay doesn't "expire" so why all the worry that pellets will suddenly be useless after a certain amount of time? I've been working on a 50lb bag for probably about a year and haven't had any problems, everyone is still gaining/maintaining weight. They also get loose hay, so their diet is plenty balanced. It's not like dog food that has oils and fats and all sorts of perishable ingredients... just sayin'

Pellets are mainly hay, and hay doesn't "expire" so why all the worry that pellets will suddenly be useless after a certain amount of time?

Hay looses its nutritional value with time. Three year old timothy is about as good as straw out of the field and should be supplemented with a grain for livestock.

The nutrients that are added to the pellets have a half-life of about six months. My chins start feeder dumping when a feed hits four months here. Sometimes I forget to check the mill dates and it happens more quickly than I'd like.

It's not like dog food that has oils and fats and all sorts of perishable ingredients...
Most of the show rabbit feeds do contain oil and it smells pretty nasty when it goes rancid.

I've been working on a 50lb bag for probably about a year and haven't had any problems, everyone is still gaining/maintaining weight.
What about the processes you can't see? Calcium for bone density, amino acids for cellular reconstruction...

As breeders we have to consider this. As a pet it may just mean your chin has a greater chance to break a leg or not heal as well after surgery. For a breeder it can mean everything from weak/dead babies to weak/dying moms, a rash of malocclusions in younger animals, a herd-wide outbreak of a disease/infection that is not normal.... all from poor feeding practices.

To answer the OP's question, an adult chin consumes about a pound of feed a week here. :)) You should be able to use up the feed within six months.

Last edited:
I have 4 chins and I use the 50 pound bag of the PRCS and it lasts me about 5-6 months, with also giving some to others if they should need emergency feed. I've only done that once though, so you could say it lasts me the whole 5-6 months. I free feed, with changing out food every other day, unless there is poo in it. So I go through a lot of food with the 4 I have.

Hay looses its nutritional value with time. Three year old timothy is about as good as straw out of the field and should be supplemented with a grain for livestock.

The nutrients that are added to the pellets have a half-life of about six months. My chins start feeder dumping when a feed hits four months here. Sometimes I forget to check the mill dates and it happens more quickly than I'd like.

Most of the show rabbit feeds do contain oil and it smells pretty nasty when it goes rancid.

What about the processes you can't see? Calcium for bone density, amino acids for cellular reconstruction...

As breeders we have to consider this. As a pet it may just mean your chin has a greater chance to break a leg or not heal as well after surgery. For a breeder it can mean everything from weak/dead babies to weak/dying moms, a rash of malocclusions in younger animals, a herd-wide outbreak of a disease/infection that is not normal.... all from poor feeding practices.

To answer the OP's question, an adult chin consumes about a pound of feed a week here. :)) You should be able to use up the feed within six months.

Ok I'm good with that explanation. I know I've seen other threads about hay and everyone saying "hay doesn't go bad if stored properly" so I was wondering where the conflicting info was coming from.

My pellets still smell really good (to me, at least) and they are certainly still chowing them down, but like I said, they also get free hay so any deficiencies mine may have from pellets should be made up with the hay. I know breeders don't often supplement with hay, so I can definitely see where the concern comes from.

My pellets still smell really good (to me, at least) and they are certainly still chowing them down, but like I said, they also get free hay so any deficiencies mine may have from pellets should be made up with the hay. I know breeders don't often supplement with hay, so I can definitely see where the concern comes from.

I've compared the smell of fresh pellets to the smell of pellets picked up at a petstore. The fresh pellets I've been ordering from Sandi smell much better. I've even tested them out on my piggy. Two bowls, same amount of pellets, and she didn't touch the petstore bowl until her other bowl was empty. Personally, I would not give my pets anything that is a year old. I will not eat anything that old and I would not expect them to. Just my two pesos.

Wow I'm so glad this one question turned into an educational thread!

I was considering swit ching over my two rabbits but now I'm reading conflicting info about feeding adult rabbits alfalfa based food. I posted about this in pet miscellaneous area. Anyone know the difference?

Back