2 questions in one. lol

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xoxoimhis

<-- chin-chin mommie!! &#9829;

question number 1:
would you be able to look in my album and tell me
if you think my chins are a healthy weight?? at
first we thought they were chubby, but then we
have noticed a lot of chins are even chubbier!!
we saw pictures of chins at shows and they blow
our chinnies away in the chubby department. lol
i am also hearing lately the chubbier the better.

question number 2:
we were thinking of switching over to purina rabbit
show chow since its so much for such a good deal.
they are currently on oxbow. but what is everyones
opinion on PRSC?? i noticed a lot of people on here
use that. pro's and con's anyone??

Like humans, chins come in all different sizes and shapes. They can range anywhere from 400- 1000 + grams. As long as your chins don't feel boney they are healthy at whatever weight they are at. Most often breeders only show their BEST quality animals, so I wouldn't compare your animals with theirs necessarily. They have also been groomed and meticulously prepared so that they look their best for a show.

As for your second question. I've never used PSRC. But Oxbow is the best pellet available in the states. If you can afford it, and your chins are doing well, I wouldn't switch.

question number 1:
would you be able to look in my album and tell me
if you think my chins are a healthy weight?? at
first we thought they were chubby, but then we
have noticed a lot of chins are even chubbier!!
we saw pictures of chins at shows and they blow
our chinnies away in the chubby department. lol
i am also hearing lately the chubbier the better.

question number 2:
we were thinking of switching over to purina rabbit
show chow since its so much for such a good deal.
they are currently on oxbow. but what is everyones
opinion on PRSC?? i noticed a lot of people on here
use that. pro's and con's anyone??

I would not say Oxbow was THE best, its a good pellet but there are other pellets just as good.

BTW - you may get more for the money with Purina, I am not sure what size bag you are planning on buying but I do believe that it comes in 50 lb bags. It is recommended by many breeders not to have more than a 3 month supply of food on hand at any given time as the pellets start to deteriorate and start to lose their nutritional value after that 3 month window. Just something to think about - if you are throwing it away - it is not a good value.

Xo - Please stop centering your posts. It's incredibly annoying to read.

I agree with Dawn. I don't think Oxbow is the best pellet. I think, personally, that Tradition kicks Oxbow's butt. <shrugs> It's more about what you can readily get your hands on in your area that is affordable.

I use a rabbit pellet (Nutrena) and I'm happy with it. If I wasn't, I would try the Purina feeds because I can get it here easily.

Xo - Please stop centering your posts. It's incredibly annoying to read.

I agree with Dawn. I don't think Oxbow is the best pellet. I think, personally, that Tradition kicks Oxbow's butt. <shrugs> It's more about what you can readily get your hands on in your area that is affordable.

I use a rabbit pellet (Nutrena) and I'm happy with it. If I wasn't, I would try the Purina feeds because I can get it here easily.

lol how is centering annoying?? i always center my stuff and
never heard a complaint. i like to do it because it is easier for
me to read rather than things looking jumbled.... then again
it could be my OCD talking. it gets me every time. >.<

anyways. i have never heard of tradition. all prices aside [though
cheap but also high quality WOULD be a nice fantasy of mine], i just
want to give my chins whatever is considered THE best out there. it's
good to hear everyone's responses!! thank you!!

but like i said, i just want to give our chinnies the highest quality
and best type out there. so anymore opinions are greatly appreciated!!

oh and to add, when we hold them we kind of can feel their bones. i
always thought it was just because they were so delicate in general.

Jessica - I'm getting complaints from other members. You'll notice no one else posts in that manner. It's like using internet speak - it's just annoying to have to look at.

You can do the same thing by simply using the enter button and putting your thoughts into paragraph form. I've edited your posts. I don't see how that is any harder to read than centering them.

Jessica - I'm getting complaints from other members. You'll notice no one else posts in that manner. It's like using internet speak - it's just annoying to have to look at.

You can do the same thing by simply using the enter button and putting your thoughts into paragraph form. I've edited your posts. I don't see how that is any harder to read than centering them.

ok well im totally sorry if it caused any issues!!
i swear it was not my intent. lol like i said i have
crazy ocd. i dont even like odd numbers lol. but
thank you for letting me know. i will keep it all
to the left from now lol!!

next time somebody has any complaints i would hope they come
directly to me. i'm very nice and won't get mad lol.

anyways. i was just hoping someone may have any advice about
my post about us being able to feel our chin's bones?? pikachin's
seem to be felt more easily than raichin's. it's underneath all his fur.
but then again, raichin NEVER runs on the wheel, while pikachin
ALWAYS does. i dunno.... what should we do??

My Lola is quite a bit smaller that Dotty and even though Lola has put weight on i can still sort of feel her back bone, but it isnt as pronounced as it was when we had her. I think as long as your chinnie is eating as much as usual and drinking as normal, thats probably the weight that hes at and i wouldnt worry unless the eating, drinking and pooping stops being the usual :)

I just switched from Manna Show to Purina Show because it was hard for me to get it. If I did get Manna Show the mill date was old. The last bag I purchased about 2 weeks ago was April's date I believe. Purina Show was dated July 27th.

Chin weight my smallest is 560 grs the largest is 960 grs. They all have wheels in the cages so they do get exercises.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad you found us! No one can tell anything about size and weight from chin pictures, they are too fluffy. You need to get a gram scale (think postage scale) and weigh them every couple weeks unless you think there may be a illness or injury, in that case weigh daily. Why don't you get that and tell us their weights. They do range a great deal even in healthy adults. I have some rescued boys who are healthy at about 450- 500 grams, they are just little and lean. They all get free choice PRSC, hay and fresh water daily. Don't overdo treats or perhaps don't give them at all. They can fill up on junk treats and not eat their healthy food.

thank you!! i will definitely need to invest in a scale.
i think they have some scales in grams at our post office.

How old are your chins? Sometimes it takes awhile for a chin to fill in and possibly not feel as bony. Young chins can feel a little skinny because they are growing so fast that their bodies don't have a chance to put on weight in muscle or fat and fill out.

If your chins are eating and making droppings, I wouldn't worry so much. Oxbow is fine, and it's a bit of a pain to switch chins to a new pellet. Now when chins start dropping weight and have a decreased appetite is when you have to worry. Pikachin may just to running off all his calories and that could be why he's thinner.

in all honesty i have no idea how old they are.
they are at least a year because we have had them for a year.
we got them both at a rescue shelter and they didn't know the age either.

ETA: we have noticed that Pikachin does not poop nearly as much as
Raichin, but we thought that was just because Raichin eats more than
Pikachin. he LOVES his food.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back