Males not gettig along anymore???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sunshinebby5508

Okay, I adopted a pair of bonded males. There was originally 4 males but I only purchased two of the four. My boys were fine in their travel cage on the way to my house, but once I put them into their cage my youner male started jumping at and barking at my other male. Idk hat happened!!!! I letthem out for playtime and my younger male chases, jumps at, and barks at my older male. Also, my younger male doesn't seem to be getting used to me as quickly as the older male did. Once again my males were already in the same cage when I adopted them.

You brought them from their home and introduced them into a new home. Everything is now new to them and their dynamic could have changed because of this. OR perhaps the person you got them from did not really have these boys bonded as they said and this is not new behavior to them.

You need to keep an eye on these boys and watch for fighting where blood is drawn. They might once have been cagemates but now might not be able to be. If there is fighting you will have to separate them permanently.

I would keep an eye on them. Trim their whiskers and put some vanilla on their noses and rumps under the tail.

I wouldn't keep them together at night while you're sleeping if you are not in the room with them because you won't hear if they are fighting. If you are gone during the day I would also keep them separated.

With this type of behavior you need to keep an eye on them.

They may have been living in a cage with the other boys, but by taking the two away from the others you changed the pecking order by removing some of the chins. They will have to re-establish that, it may not work.

Alright, thanks guys they are in my bedroom so I hear/see them all night. I trimmed their whiskers, which were pretty long, and they seem to be getting along a lot better so far:) thanks so much

This is almost exactly what happened with Mork and Orson. They were 'brothers', living with their other brothers as well; just like you, I took 2 of the 4. When they got home they got along for the first week or two, then Mork (the smaller of the two) started attacking Orson.
I eventually separated Mork and Orson for Orson's safety, but I didn't do it properly, and Orson was fatally wounded by Mork when Orson chewed down into Mork's cage. The fight and death took place within an hour and a half, it happened very quickly. Orson's death was my fault because I thought that some wooden shelves and a thick piece of cardboard would separate them well enough into the top and bottom halves of the single cage I put them in. Because of this experience, I suggest you have another cage ready, like Sandi said, so that you don't have to go through the same thing I went through. Good luck!

Thanks guys, yeah, they are getting along fine now :D they play, sleep, and rest together haha :D

may i ask what trimming the whiskers does? same for the vanilla? Sorry I'm a clueless newbie who's clearly geggin in on this post haha

Trimming the whiskers can take a chin instantly from feeling like a big, tough chin to feeling like a small chin. :) It takes them down a peg and they usually are much more docile and submissive after it's done. The vanilla keeps them from smelling the odor of other chins. It masks the smell of other chins.

Longer whiskers mean dominance over shorter whiskers. so, they get competitive. so if they both have short botts, they start from the equal level. I think....I was told this way....

Latest posts

Back