What type of Chinchilla food do you feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Switched from Pen Pals after hearing all the trouble there's been related to it.
Chins are now happily munching on Nutrena, and loving it and wasting much less!

I used to feed Tradition, and loved it, but I had to drive too far to get it. I switched to Oxbow a couple of months ago, and love it even more, so I don't think that I'll go back. The only draw back is that I get 2 ten pound bags for the equivalent price of a 50 pound bag of Tradition.

My crew all eat Mazuri pellets. That's all I've ever tried and they seem to be doing just great so I guess we'll stick with that.
And....now I am able to get a large bag a my local feed store. Very cost effective!!:D

We feed PenPals 18% and have for about 3 years and have had no problems with it what so ever.

I started out feeding Tradition & Shoots. So now, I'm feeding Nutrena's NatureWise 16% Rabbit Pellets.

Whatever the feed stores here carry. Looks like I've got one purina carrier, and one lone star carrier. Hmm... wonder what lone star makes for rabbit feed...

We feed Tradition pellets.

When we got our Daphne from the breeder that is what they had her on, well that and supplements. So we kept her on it and than decided to make our own supplent mix forher that she finds especially nummy. She is quite a brat about eating the traditional pellets though.

When we got our Freddy the other week the breeder was suppose to give us the same feed he was on but he forgot so we had to do cold turkey and put him on the same pellets and he LOVES them his bowl his almost empty every morning. He had no problems with the switchover. However getting him to eat hay is another story.

I use Mazuri, I used to get it at petco/petsmart (same difference) and a few weeks ago I went to another petstore (chain, can't remember name) and talked to the manager who ordered me a 25 lb bag of Mazuri for under $25 my chins will be happy for a looongg time.

I fed Mazuri in the begining, but had a huge problem with loose poos :( switched to tradition and never had a problem with it again. I'll always carry mazuri in the store as well as tradition and PANR but I feed the chins tradition....though I've contemplated switching them to PANR..but its just another if it aint broke don't fix it kinda deal...I dont' wanna jinx the no loose poos thing LOL

I've kept my girls on tradition pellets. I can purchase a 50 lb. bag from my local feedmill.

feeding Sesame Mazuri and she hasn't had any problems with it. She seems pretty happy with it. Everytime we refill her bowl up, she comes scrambling down, meeping.

Back