What type of Chinchilla food do you feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxbow pellets and hay. I've tried others and I have the least waste with these. Luckily, I can get big quantities anytime at my local feed store.

I use Tradition at the moment, but I plan to switch to PANR before the end of February whenever my 50lb bag starts to run out and I'll have enough left for the switch. I'm hoping that I have better success with the PANR. I have a lot of the Tradition thrown on the floor the cage by some of my chins.

I can get PANR milled locally, and it just makes sense to me to buy as fresh as possible. The chins love it.

I've heard about the soft poo problem with Mazuri but have never had a problem here and my boys love it!:)

I've heard about the soft poo problem with Mazuri but have never had a problem here and my boys love it!:)
I think Purina has put acidophiles in Mazuri pellets now and that has helped with the 'soft poo' issues. At least I think that's the case b/c I do recall reading about it a while back.

I was feeding Mazuri for a while, but my smallest girl was weighing only 475g and losing or gaining a few grams here and there. It bothered me a bit and it seemed like she was digging through the bowl and spilling all the food out of it.
I switched to Tradition and everyone's gained at least 100g.:D

I feed Kline to our pets and the rescues get Manna Pro Sho. I feed the Manna Pro Sho to the rescues as it is easier to get for people than Kline. Plus I send rescues home with a little over 2lbs of food.

I cannot find PANR here local yet, but I am still looking.

I think Purina has put acidophiles in Mazuri pellets now and that has helped with the 'soft poo' issues. At least I think that's the case b/c I do recall reading about it a while back.

Actually, AFTER Purina put acidophilus in the feed is when my boys started getting loose poo. :confused:

I just switched to PANR from Tradition about 6 months ago.

I used to drive 100 miles round trip to get Tradition for my chins, rabbits, and guinea pigs at the only feed store that carried it. Then in looking for a different cat food, I stumbled across a feed store that would only be 44 miles round trip. So I began the switch to over to PANR for the chins and rabbits.

I'm really happy with it, everyone is gaining weights and I swear their coats look much shiny and fuller too! :)

I switched everyone to PANR last year. I was feeding Mazuri, I have no idea what crap people were feeding them before they came into the rescue. There were a couple of reasons for my switch: 1) After having a surgical staple removed from Lily's stomach, she wasn't interested in pellets at all, I tried a bunch of different kinds and the PANR was the only one she was interested in eating; 2) During the time that Lily was eating PANR I had a couple of pregnant chins come in and put them on PANR, they were really healthy and had some good sized babies; 3) the price of Mazuri jumped from 25lbs/$16 to $30; 4) with 25 rescues, it's easier to have everyone on the same food if I can.

I used Mazuri for a long while but started selling Oxbow so it got cheaper for me, so now they're all 5 on Oxbow and I just love it.

My two boys eat Mazuri. It's the only decent chinchilla food I can find in stores around here.

My chins eat Mazuri but I've been thinking about switching to Oxbow. Does anyone from this forum sell Oxbow pellets?

Back