The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got my ferret nation up and WOW! Do I love it so far and it's not even decorated lol I have the 182 and it seems sturdy the only part i dislike is that the top of the cage just sits on it. Hopefully none of my chins go hulk crazy on the cage and have a grand escape! Lol unlikely =P But my main thing was I have wood for shelves and I was wondering what the exact measurements were for the whole run of the length and width of the cage? If someone could point me in the direction of a link that'd be great, or even just saying that works too ^_^

kayzer - the pan measurements that bass uses to make the big metal insert pans are approx 34 5/8" by 22 5/8" (inside measurements)...

thus far, when I am outfitting a single cage, my base plan is 1 18" long shelf (along back), 1 12" shelf (along one side) and 1 6-8" shelf (depending on what I have left over...) on opposite side or on door, if I mount a fleece tube on the opposite side (in process of making fleece tubes for all of our FNs now)...

with a connected double cage, you could use the 6-8" shelf under the pass through from bottom to top, to give the kids a 'launch pad' if you will... ideally, you may want to leave some room for a wheel also - I have found that by using 18"/ 12" / 6-8" shelves I have a high degree of flexibility in moving 'em around to make sure the kids have play room, can get to hammocks, etc...

the stack pictured below is newest one I am working on outfitting now... still need some tubes and hammocks, will add wheels after I get these kids settled in (they are fairly new - home for about a week now)

Attachments

• FN mud room chin stack.jpg
    FN mud room chin stack.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 205
Im very excited about my new fall fleece set for my FN ! This is only Tilly and Gizmos cage. I really need to get a better camera huh? :)

Attachments

• FallTillygizmo2.jpg
    FallTillygizmo2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 177
  • FallTillygizmo3.jpg
    FallTillygizmo3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 152
So I got my ferret nation up and WOW! Do I love it so far and it's not even decorated lol I have the 182 and it seems sturdy the only part i dislike is that the top of the cage just sits on it. Hopefully none of my chins go hulk crazy on the cage and have a grand escape! Lol unlikely =P But my main thing was I have wood for shelves and I was wondering what the exact measurements were for the whole run of the length and width of the cage? If someone could point me in the direction of a link that'd be great, or even just saying that works too ^_^

how do you mean the top of the cage just sits on top? i think you may have missed the holes that the top slides into, just like the middle level. there should be holes on the inside of the cage at the top, on the metal just above the doors.

Tilly that looks sooo nice! Those chinnies must love you :) How much fleece did you buy to make all of that? I want to start sewing my own stuff but I wouldn't know how much material to get once i find a pattern I like!

I love the fall theme! This makes me want to buy more fleece & redo my Ferret Nation for the holidays! I've been forcing myself to not buy fleece when I go into Joann Fabrics..haha!

I bought 7 yards of it which on sale cost about 45$. With that amount I can make 4 liners, 4 tube covers, and 2-3 fleece houses ...some pillows, hammocks etc. depending on how u split it all up. If you think of how much u spend ordering items online it reallllllllly makes a difference! That is with buying anti-pill fleece. If you buy blizzard on sale it can be more like 25-30$

I bought 7 yards of it which on sale cost about 45$. With that amount I can make 4 liners, 4 tube covers, and 2-3 fleece houses ...some pillows, hammocks etc. depending on how u split it all up. If you think of how much u spend ordering items online it reallllllllly makes a difference! That is with buying anti-pill fleece. If you buy blizzard on sale it can be more like 25-30$

Great to know thanks

I love all these pictures! I am ordering one right now online for my adopted chinchilla that I am getting in a week! :) He is living in a smaller cage, so he will love the double level cage :D I can't wait to make my cage look all nice like everyones on here!!

Cinnamon's Cage :)
it's pretty bare right now, but it won't be long til its better looking.
yes i know the house is HUGE! haha we use KD Fir instead of pine whoops.
we'll fix that though too. cause boy does it take up alot of space.

DSC02399.jpg

Wow! Cage looks great and I personally dont think the house is too big. There is still room up top for a wheel or something. Great job! Now it just needs that chin that you have been waiting for!!:thumbsup:

Oh my goodness, all of these cages look amazing! I have a FN cage as well, but I haven't had the money to shnazz it all up (we moved a month ago), but next Monday I will! What kind of trays are you guys using for the bottoms? And what are you using to mount the ledges, the few that I have tend to slowly fall down the wires when he jumps on them.

Oh my goodness, all of these cages look amazing! I have a FN cage as well, but I haven't had the money to shnazz it all up (we moved a month ago), but next Monday I will! What kind of trays are you guys using for the bottoms? And what are you using to mount the ledges, the few that I have tend to slowly fall down the wires when he jumps on them.

the metal trays are Bass Pans. here's a link to the exact measurements you need: http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

for hanging shelves, many of us use a hanger bolt, two large washers, and a wing nut. in the DIY section there is a tutorial on how to install the hardware on shelves. here it is: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9311

Back