The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rainey, I do a combo sweep/shop vac. I sweep up the large bits of hay/large debris and vacuum up everything else. I get an occasional clog or two but just use a wire hanger to get everything going again. I also use the circular brush attachment to make sure there is a bit of airflow between the surface and the vacuum to avoid getting the fleece stuck. It doesn't always work but it also helps loosen up fur and will ball up nicely for you to vacuum it up or toss.

After years of building wood items for other people's ferret nations I have decided to setup one myself. I only setup the lower level but thinking I really need to setup the second level as I still have a double house, house on a ledge and have more fleece coming. I'm planning on getting a wheel shortly.

005.jpg

That is going to be one spoiled chinchilla!! Your wood looks awesome as always Cat!

Hi everyone (just joined this post)..

I want to ask if using fleece will smell bad? I did some research and saw that people switched from using bedding to fleece then back to beddings again. I'm using beddings and thinking to use fleece but i'm not sure if it will smell bad or how often u clean the fleece? Thanks =)

Hi everyone (just joined this post)..

I want to ask if using fleece will smell bad? I did some research and saw that people switched from using bedding to fleece then back to beddings again. I'm using beddings and thinking to use fleece but i'm not sure if it will smell bad or how often u clean the fleece? Thanks =)

with any bedding option (fleece or shavings) you do need to keep up on cage housekeeping to keep the smell down.

i use a fleece liner in Rhino's cage, as well as a corner potty dish with pine shavings. Rhino seems to pee on his fleece just as often as in the potty dish, so i'm considering taking the potty dish out. I've been changing his liner every 2 to 3 days, and usually by day 3 there is a bit of a urine smell in the chin room from it. i find pee in the pine shavings doesn't smell as bad.

Guss has picked up on Rhino's bad habit and has started peeing on one of the fleece covers on one shelf (wire mesh shelves that i covered with fleece for safety). his shelf liner smells like pee after 4 or 5 days, because he is better about using his potty dish.

i think those that complained about the pee smell on the fleece were not changing out liners often enough.

I found a ferret nation for sale on Craigslist for $150. The cage I have works just fine, but it's a tiny bit hard to clean the upper shelves. Do you think it'd be worth the $150 to get the FN? This is the cage I currently have.

Attachments

• cagedone5.jpg
    cagedone5.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 160
i can see how that tiny upper door could make cage cleaning difficult!

go for it, but talk them down. say you can pay 100 and then go up from there if they balk. is there pictures of the cage? if anything is missing from when it was bought originally (pans, shelves, etc) then use that as a bargaining tool, even if you aren't likely to use those parts anyway. if it needs a good cleaning, that is a bargaining tool too.

up here, used FN's commonly go for 200. but the retail price is higher here too, so that comes into play. brand new FN at petsmart is about 300!

i can see how that tiny upper door could make cage cleaning difficult!

go for it, but talk them down. say you can pay 100 and then go up from there if they balk. is there pictures of the cage? if anything is missing from when it was bought originally (pans, shelves, etc) then use that as a bargaining tool, even if you aren't likely to use those parts anyway. if it needs a good cleaning, that is a bargaining tool too.

up here, used FN's commonly go for 200. but the retail price is higher here too, so that comes into play. brand new FN at petsmart is about 300!

He said it is in perfect condition, but he didn't have any pictures. He just kept telling me to come see it. He has it listed as $200, but I offered $150 and told him that I didn't want to spend any more than that, so he said to come see it and "we'll discuss". So I'm bringing only $150 cash and he can take it or leave it. Haha!

Thank you, but I think it's to big for my cage so I might have to sell it.

if you do i possibly will take it depending on price and shipping :D

i don't have a chin yet because i'm waiting til i have everything for her first. and still on the list is a wood chinny house :)

i love the house with the balcony

X2

Thanks I'm trying to make sure she is happy.

Thats too bad.
if you do i possibly will take it depending on price and shipping :D

i don't have a chin yet because i'm waiting til i have everything for her first. and still on the list is a wood chinny house :)

I'd be interested as well. I didn't see any wood items on your site. Do you sell them?

I say go for it if you have $150 to spare and it's really getting that annoying to clean. Your cage does look nice and I'm sure your chin loves it, so it's up to you if you think spending less time cleaning etc is worth the money! I just combined two of my chins into a FN from craigslist (from two similar cages that you have) which really were perfect for them, but I actually wasn't cleaning as much as I should because it was simply hard to reach inside those cages. Seems like it'd be worth it for you too!

I found a ferret nation for sale on Craigslist for $150. The cage I have works just fine, but it's a tiny bit hard to clean the upper shelves. Do you think it'd be worth the $150 to get the FN? This is the cage I currently have.

absotively - they really seem to make the cleaning process significantly easier! I have a couple of chins who get REALLY inquisitive when the doors are open, but I just take some time to play with them while I am cleaning

:)

and for the record, the FN141s that Ferret.com has are a great deal also - currently priced at 79.99 plus 5.99 flat rate shipping - I did a google search on 'ferret.com coupon codes' and found a 10% off coupon, so ended up getting 2 FN 141s brand new with shipping for $149 and some change... (we run most of our FNs as single pods for 1 or 2 chins but have plenty of extra pans/ grids with cutouts for connecting pairs up as needed from the multiple 142s we have found also)... overall, great deal - equivalent of 142 new for $150 just without cutout pans and with an extra bottom shelf/ stand left over after we stack them... just a heads up to those who are shopping

:)

Well if you decide to sell it before the Ohio show I'd take it in a heartbeat. Lady & Latte just got a pair of brothers, and I need to fill that cage ;)

Back