The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joining the club!

Figured I should post a few pics of our FN stacks - found a total of 3 FN142s used (1 on Craigslist, 2 on CnH forums) that we have combined into a pair of 3-stacks in the living room (currently boys on one side of the room, girls on the other)... these cages ROCK! Just found a brand new 142, in opened box, through a liquidator (again on Craigslist) for a great price and will be making a trip to the PA area to pick up 2 more next weekend... the lady wife says I can't have anymore after that until we get HER a new house, lol... love Love LOVE these cages...

Attachments

• DSCN2488.jpg
    DSCN2488.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCN2489.jpg
    DSCN2489.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCN2490.jpg
    DSCN2490.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCN2491.jpg
    DSCN2491.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCN2492.jpg
    DSCN2492.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 161
Looks great! You just have to get the "other half" something he can enjoy and then it's all good! I got my hubby a 79 TransAm (he's wanted the Bandit car since he was 8) and now he's like "what pets...sure honey...whatever you want!! Anyway, your cages are great and you got some pretty lucky chins there! ;)

YAY! I finally finished redecorating the boy's cage with shelves I bought from Shooper:

Benjamin is in the tube and Timothy is on top
(Please excuse the poop and bad photos!)

Looks like they've already went to town on the dogwood ledge!! The cage looks great! If only all chins could live like this!!:thumbsup:

Looks great! You just have to get the "other half" something he can enjoy and then it's all good! I got my hubby a 79 TransAm (he's wanted the Bandit car since he was 8) and now he's like "what pets...sure honey...whatever you want!! Anyway, your cages are great and you got some pretty lucky chins there! ;)

lol! I am the 'other half' - I just have to make sure mama is happy :)

So I came across a dilemma when I was brainstorming for my cage (I haven't assembled it yet), and that was that my one chin isn't necessarily litter trained. I don't even think that she has a certain corner she goes in now in her current cage. I had wanted to use fleece liners for her because she doesn't mind fleece, but I wasn't sure how that would work... My other chin, unfortunately, I can't use fleece because it's something new and she wants it out of her cage lol. I had wanted to get it set up sooner than later, but I don't know how long it usually takes to have bass equipment ship out their pans.

So I came across a dilemma when I was brainstorming for my cage (I haven't assembled it yet), and that was that my one chin isn't necessarily litter trained. I don't even think that she has a certain corner she goes in now in her current cage. I had wanted to use fleece liners for her because she doesn't mind fleece, but I wasn't sure how that would work... My other chin, unfortunately, I can't use fleece because it's something new and she wants it out of her cage lol. I had wanted to get it set up sooner than later, but I don't know how long it usually takes to have bass equipment ship out their pans.

i think i got mine in like a week and a half

Question....If you buy fleece liners and just cover the plastic pans with them, won't the poop still go everywhere? Which do you think makes the least mess, fleece on plastic, fleece on 4inch pans, or shavings in 4inch pans? The other problem is which is more cost effective.

I have a fleece liner in one cage and find it annoying how much the hay and poop sticks to it, I live in an apt. building so I have to go all the way to the bottom floor to shake them out and I trail a mess on the way down. Also I have have to pay $4 for each laundry load, so I think it would end up costing more than buying bass pans and sticking to shavings... my chins are not litter trained btw. (When I buy shavings in bulk it's around $5 for a years worth supply.)

I'm getting my second FN tonight and I have to decide soon if I want to buy 4 extra deep BP's or purchase more fleece. Each of my 4 chins has their own section.
Any suggestions?

rainey - have you tried using a small shopvac to clean up the poops? I currently clean 5 FNs in about 20 minutes a day with the magic of shopvac...

I haven't tried it on fleece, but i used to vacuum shavings and poop (with a hugely powerful vacuum) but it always got clogged with hay so I had to return it. Maybe I'll invest in a handheld one though. Does it suck up the fleece each time you go over it though?

rainey - have you tried using a small shopvac to clean up the poops? I currently clean 5 FNs in about 20 minutes a day with the magic of shopvac...

Shavings sound like the best plan for you. I live in an apartment and use fleece and honestly I dont clean their cage as much as I should (hopefully that will change now that we have our own washer/dryer)

Shavings are much messier, but you'll have to decide what's more important to you: convinience or less mess.

one mess free way to shake out liners is to do it inside a big garbage bag or can. i live in an apartment too (laundry here is 5 bucks total for a wash and dry! ack!), and i use fleece liners in one of my cages so far, and the other cage is getting one soon. i'll be doing the garbage bag shake come winter, because stepping out onto my ground floor patio in minus 30 celcius does not sound very appealing to me........ lol!

when i clean cages i hand scoop as much strewn about hay out as i can, and use a little dust broom and pan to clean up a majority of the poops and smaller hay bits from the cage floor and shelves. i vacuum whatever i miss with the dust broom, which isn't a whole lot.

I am using a smaller one (3 gallon capacity, I think?) and if I use the crevice tool and lay it horizontally (more or less) on the fleece with the longer 'tip' of the crevice tool on bottom, I don't really have any issues with it pulling the fleece up... I stopped feeding loose hay in the cages as it was causing some clogging issues (still feed loose during playtime, cubes in cages) and have very few issues now... hope that helps

I haven't tried it on fleece, but i used to vacuum shavings and poop (with a hugely powerful vacuum) but it always got clogged with hay so I had to return it. Maybe I'll invest in a handheld one though. Does it suck up the fleece each time you go over it though?

I finally got my wooden shelves up in both FN. I've made my own hammocks and tubes/tunnels with covers. My chinnies LOVE them. I will post pics soon! The one chin that I didn't think would be litter trained took to it right away. I was amazed!

Rainey, if you use a hand held vac tha'd be worse. Most the vacuums I've ever had have had filters and fans that will get clogged up by the hay and shavings. That is a definite. If you get a shop vac they're of an industrial quality and are made to sweep up wood shavings, metals, etc. I'm definitely getting one of those when I move into my new place, especially if I'm going to try the fleece liners.

Good point. Wouldn't the industrial kind just suck up the fleece too though and you'd end up having to pull it out every few seconds? When I had one I didn't use it on fleece, but it got clogged fast even though I would pick up most of the hay first. Now I just stick to a sweeping. I guess there's no perfect system and I should stop complaining!

Rainey, if you use a hand held vac tha'd be worse. Most the vacuums I've ever had have had filters and fans that will get clogged up by the hay and shavings. That is a definite. If you get a shop vac they're of an industrial quality and are made to sweep up wood shavings, metals, etc. I'm definitely getting one of those when I move into my new place, especially if I'm going to try the fleece liners.

And thank you everyone else for your suggestions, chinnymommy how do you afford $5 a load! That's outrageous, I hope they're big machines for your sake! I'm thinking I am just going to try and make a barrier around the base of the cage with pine, and hopefully that will help with the messy shavings. That should work for now until I can afford multiple liners or bass pans.

Last edited:
Back