The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ferret Nations are hard to get and i could make a cage i think farely easily, but where do you get the pans.

I wouldn't say they are hard to get.. well I guess that really depends on where you are. But we just got a second FN 142 off a person on craigslist. Then we got there and we realized just HOW crazy she really was, but that's off topic. I guess my point is... If you look long enough one will come up for sale used. A few months ago there were 3 FN for sale in our area at the same time. You just have to be diligent. And a BIG hint... try misspelling the name of the cage in your search or just look under "cage".. Some people don't know what they have, and most don't know they have dictionary.com and spell check available to them. That leaves the other 60% of CL users who are just plain :wacko:

LOL You know how I feel about the CL people. Yikes, they are scary weird.

Come on...how crazy was the lady?!! It's not off topic. Oh well, you'll tell me eventually.

Every now and then I run across a FN cage with a rescue and I always look for someone wanting one and surprise them with it. :) If I didn't have to pay for it, I am happy to give them to people. (Because any cages that come here tend to add to the giant tangle of cages on my front porch...)

Our Petsmart has had no ferret nations shipped in for maybe 5 months, and i've checked on craigslist, nothing there either. Also though i have an idea for the cage and i'll need maybe 1 foot taller. Also for the person that made the ship, what glue? Whats strong enough to hold together wood, but not toxic?

Also for the person that made the ship, what glue? Whats strong enough to hold together wood, but not toxic?

I made the ship. We used non-toxic elmers glue and wooden pegs. They clamped the ship tight and let the glue set over night and it held.
I know it held well because I was talking with my father-in-law who helped build it about how i was going to burn the "plank" look on it and wouldn't you know I dropped the thing? :banghead: It went crashing down 5ft-no lie. I wanted to cry because I thought I'd broke it, but my boyfriend looked it over and it was fine.:thumbsup:

How dangerous are the shelves that come with it? Would it hurt to have just one of the shelves in there for a few days while I get my wood together to make some shelves.. I was too lazy to clean his cage again, so I just went ahead and moved him to his new FN before it's done.. He doesn't seem to care, he just runs on his flying saucer that's all he cares about.. What happens with the shelves that is so horrible?

I had the shelves in there for about an hour while we ran out to lowes to get bigger washers and other shelf making things. There were no teeth marks or damage to them.. they were more interested in chewing the new bars i guess. LOL. Once I had bigger washers though, I put my wood shelves from their previous cage into the FN because I know they do like to chew their wood shelves so i'm sure it was only a matter of time before they started chewing the ones that came with the FN.

How dangerous are the shelves that come with it? Would it hurt to have just one of the shelves in there for a few days while I get my wood together to make some shelves.. I was too lazy to clean his cage again, so I just went ahead and moved him to his new FN before it's done.. He doesn't seem to care, he just runs on his flying saucer that's all he cares about.. What happens with the shelves that is so horrible?

My girl had her FN shelves in there for a couple of weeks while I was waiting for my wooden ones to arrive. I think the way they are built makes it difficult for them to chew. Unless you notice that your chin is taking chunks of the plastic off, I don't think it would be harmful to use them temporarily.

381604757.jpg

here are mine finally lol..ill be getting a third one as soon as i can

Looks good. I love the polka dot hammock :) I will have pictures of mine but it's not totally finished yet.

I've been meaning to post pics of the new FN142. Here is how it sits as of now.

4318496865_9b899703b9.jpg

On the bottom is BamBam and Domo and up top will be the 2 new chins i'll be picking up today. It will be Spyro, a neutered ebony male and Kiwi, a standard female. I just have to pick them up a wooden hidey house incase they don't like the fleece one I made them. I would like to pick up a second 142 before i pick up my violet male from Jags and hopefully bond him in with BamBam and Domo.

And this is just a cute shot I got.

4318501573_7d2127f862.jpg

They love the fleece a whole lot better then bedding. They are always snuggling together on the fleece covered pan. I hope to get another bass pan soon but I need to potty train Spyro and Kiwi first with the bass pan i currently have.

Finally got mine will post some pictures of it when i get it all set up. Its pretty exciting putting all the stuff into it!

I ordered my first FN 142 today! Does anyone know the exact inner measurements? I'm ordering some wooden shelves to go along the back wall. The site says 36" but that could be measured from the outside.

There is a difference, Shubbles. If you measure from the outside vs. the inside of the bars, you're going to cut shelves that are too long to fit in the cage, even if it is only 1/4 or 1/2 an inch.

I received my chin spins and water bottles today so I figured I would take some pics to show everyone what I have done so far. I still need to add some fleece covered tubes.

If anyone has suggestions on anything let me know. The igloo in there is only temporary since I have to make Sedona a hidey house sometime. Dustin cut it bigger so that she won't get stuck climbing out of it. :)P1010809.jpg

P1010811.jpg

P1010812.jpg

P1010815.jpg

Can you not take out the middle divider? I was told you could, and my boyfriend built it before I could ask him to see if he could remove it. It seems like the chins would have waaaay more jumping space.

Back