The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think in your case it wouldn't be much of a problem, given that they have time out of the cage. Would you be able to keep the new chins in a separate cage until quarantine was over? You could always consider getting a second FN down the road when you have some more room. Until then, I don't think they'd be too cramped. I know what you mean about ebonies, they are pretty irresistible:))

yes, i'll have another cage to keep the new ones in for quarantine. Thats where my 2 boys are now. I wasn't sure if I would still have to do that since they won't actually be together though. I hope to get another FN one day so they all have a lot of space. When we get the house it will have plenty of room for another one down the road.

Either that, or just get another 1 or 2 boys and put them all together and hope they will all get along! I have plenty of time to decide.. not going to get them until we get the house at the end of February.

brittiny, just when I think I've seen the most awesome setup, someone else comes along with something that makes my eyes pop out. Your cage looks amazing! It's so creative with the ship and colors. The suspension bridge looks like waves above the wheel and the cover on the tube is the clouds...very nicely done.

Thanks. I was looking over this thread for a while in envy without knowing what I wanted. It's my boyfriend who wanted a pirate theme so he drew a vague sketch of what he wanted as the ship. I knew that the bridge from Camphor Chins would make an amazing wave and that's when we decide about the bottom "under the sea theme." She also had cute fishy/octopus fleece so she made our liners as well.
The ship-truthfully is nothing like we planned. Jeremy's dad was suspended from work and I figured we'd ask him for help so he'd have something to occupy his down time (he's an offshore engineer who's truck broke down and he borrowed a strap to tow it). That night he improved jeremy's sketch and the next day the went build it.

Truth be told, I still feel like it's a bit empty (he thinks some people have "cluttered" cages, but he's a pooty-head boy, what does he know?
I might need to find more stuff to fill it with when I get more money.

I'm ready to get my FN in.. I ordered the 142 from www.kennelvet.com last wednesday and they still have not even shipped it yet! They said it ships within 2-4 days, that's a lie... anyone ever ordered from them before?

Sometimes the 2-4 days is shipping time once the cage has been processed and leaves the warehouse. That is an awful long time though, you should contact them and maybe get reimbursed for the shipping cost.

Here's my FN Cage!!

IMG_0527.jpg

The Pirate Ship "above the water"
IMG_0522.jpg

"Under the Sea"
IMG_0525.jpg

That is seriously one of the best setups I've EVER seen :D I'm not showing those pictures to my chinchillas, they would be VERY jealous and demand one from me!

After quarantine, I just intro'd my 5 yr old male (cagemate died) to 2 adorable 5-mo old brother chins and moved the whole trio into a new FN cage. They've been together 2 weeks and absolutely so very happy together. No problems at all. Nothing. They play eat and sleep together and no one gangs up on anyone else. Three peas in a pod.

They are in the FN 143 - 3 level. There is soooo much room in there, even with all the toys, etc. They spend very little time on the top level.

My question is -- has anyone tried 4 boys together? There is plenty of room, but I have never seen a 4-male group caged together on here, only trios. Would the dynamics be destroyed?

Of the three, two are dominants, and one is submissive, but there is no fighting at all, which kind of pleasantly surprised me. None of them displays any aggression at all.

Again, any thoughts on adding a 4th chin? I have found one I really like, but the only two choices would be to add him to this group, or start another group, but a whole new addnl setup would get costly!

Last edited:
It is probably mentioned here but since the thread is so long, I'll ask again. I heard if you use the 3 level set up you should get other wheels that what is provide because they don't last very long if you move the cages a lot. What size wheels should one get?? I know it has to have the same size 'shaft' to fit into the cage setup. But what about the wheels themselves

I suppose I should add mine too! Even though its not finished yet, and a lot of stuff has changed since I took this, still waiting for those base pans! **rubs ands together**!

1262309366-1.jpg

Brittiny how the heck did you make that pirate ship. I want one.

KD Pine from Home Depot, Glue, and wooden pegs. Jeremy and his dad sketched it to the dimensions they wanted and Jeremy's dad and uncle used man-tool magic (I wasn't there) like so:
download

(from front to back: James (Jeremy's brother), Frank(his uncle), Jim (his father))

The let it dry and nailed the pegs in. Sanded everything and brought it to me. Then I drew out the planks (using a ruler; yeah-I cheated) the wooden burned the details in it. I took me about 2 nights off and on (short attention span).

It's huge, but it's like a house large enough for 3 chins, as well as shelves and ledges. The of course the Jolly Roger flag as a hammock. Then the "crows nest" is another ledge/shelf.

I have read through this thread, and I am wondering how much mess the chins make around these cages with them being open all the way around. Do you find the mess is more, less, or the same from the previous cages you had?

Really? even the melamine? That is what we have right now. With losing Taz last week, we are redesigning the chins cages. We aren't going to be adding any more chins, so this redesign is the last one. I am wondering if I should just buy a ferret nation and do it up like you all do, or redesign the melamine one.

I would love to hear from others on here as well.

I'm wondering what i should do too. Ferret Nations are hard to get and i could make a cage i think farely easily, but where do you get the pans. I would only want to make one if its going to be bigger than the fn. If I were you i would redesign the cage than get a new one. Why go through all the trouble just to pay 200 dollars anyway to get another cage.

That's what I am leaning towards. It is going to be way cheaper to redesign this one, and easier, but I would still like to hear about other people's information on the FN cages.

Our melamine cages have worked great,but I am always interested in getting new information.

I have read through this thread, and I am wondering how much mess the chins make around these cages with them being open all the way around. Do you find the mess is more, less, or the same from the previous cages you had?

I had a melamine cage for a few years that was closed around, so the only mess was in the front. I don't have Bass pans, but I have liners, and the mess isn't terrible. I vacuum inside their cage daily and every few days behind and around. The FN is 10 times easier to clean, IMO, no bedding to deal with. I love my FN, if this cage ever wears out before my chins cross the rainbow bridge, I'll get another.

Well I got my Ferret Nation in last Friday but still have been too lazy to go buy any wood or any hardware to make some shelves.. Blahhh.. Anyone wanna make a bunch of shelves for really cheap for me? Hahah. It's sad seeing a $200 cage + $40 bass pan just sit in there empty without Freddie being able to enjoy it..

bought my FN yesterday!!

We drove around to 2 petsmarts while we were out and the first place didn't have it so i wasn't expecting for the second one to either until I saw the box in the middle of the isle, i was so excited. The check out woman was amazed at the kennelvet price I had them match. I transfered all the ledges as well as a few extras I had and set everything up last night. I only set up one level because we'll be moving out of the apartment soon and I don't have enough ledges to fill the whole cage so I didn't want the chins to have an accident and fall. I wasn't expecting to find one so I'm ordering the bass pan today for the bottom. I ran out and bought about a yard and a quarter of fleece to wrap the bottom tray and put a pan with bedding in there and they did well with it last night.

I love my FN! :)

I just picked up my FN142 today!!! :banana:

Can't WAIT to assemble it! Pictures to come later!!!!!!!! Weee!! SOOO EXCITED!!

Hah.. That's what I'm saying.. I am eventually going to make some but with school startin back I've been too lazy to hit up home depot.. Hah

Back