The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our FN 142 came in the other day, delivered by a helpful UPS man who assisted me in carrying it into the garage. Happened to be the day we had 18" of snow.

Opened up the box in the garage and carried the pieces up to the 2nd floor office. Assembled it up and started moving ledges and what not.

Need to order some replacement pans, which I forgot to and measure for some more home made perches.

Pictures coming soon!

Hey everyone, I stumbled upon this forum and thread when looking for ideas to make my FN cage more fun for my 2 chins. I have to say, you all have wonderful cages and I am soooo jealous! I will strive to have a cage like you guys have!!!

I live in Canada and I have a few questions:
Where can I buy those awesome metal pans to replace those plastic ones in the FN?
Where can I buy fleece liners for the floors?

Thanks so much.

FN 143! I beat you!

IMG_1039.jpg

Essentia, did you have to do any modification to remove the shelf at the bottom?
I've been seriously considering making the switch but, I'm not sure if I want 2 143s or 3 142s. I had a 6ft cage before and it could be a PIA at times.

Last edited:
I didn't have to modify anything. The FN 142 is a brand new cage since my other one had rusted screws and I couldn't get the bottom off. I just put together the cage without putting the bottom on. What I did for it to hold the wheels is put 4 connectors into the bottom, and then there is room in the bottom half of the connector for the wheel. It's about 6 1/2 ft. tall, but totally workable. Well, for me anyway. I'm 5'9". I can reach everything I need to even without getting the step stool. If I had left the bottom on, I would have needed the stool. I can also still roll it out the doorway if I ever need to.

finally bought my second one from ferret.com today

It still would of been cheaper to get it price matched at petsmart because ferret.com charged me tax and all but I went to petsmart and they had the cage in stock and the SAME woman that did the price match for me back in January refused this time and said its not the policy.. the 'any competitor' must be one in the same 'area' as the petsmart store. I argued with her for a good 10 minutes and I even had the print out of the policy and she knew she was wrong, she had to read the 2 sentences over and over again to pick something out that matched what she was saying. she wouldn't budge so i had to order it from ferret.com. thank god this will be my last one and won't have to worry about it again.

So, it seems like most of you guys prefer getting the FN over the Critter Nation. I just ordered the Critter Nation from Petsmart, getting it wednesday, and I was wondering if anyone had both and which one they like better? I think the only downside to the CN is the bar spacing. But thankfully, if I really dont like it, I know the Petsmart by me has a FN and I can exchange the CN for it...
We shall see...

I believe that most prefer the FN spacing because, it allows walk by scritches and better visibility. I almost think I would prefer the CN spacing though for attachment reasons. The cages I have now don't allow for scritches and my chins have their own room so, there are no walk bys anyway.
That said, I would buy the FN for $170/180 versus the CN that runs what $250? Plus many people have found FNs for $75-100 on craigslist.

I actually really like the critter nation, just not the price tag. I was able to get my new FN 142 for $169 and free shipping. The CN was around $250. That made my decision nice and easy. :D

Hey everyone, I stumbled upon this forum and thread when looking for ideas to make my FN cage more fun for my 2 chins. I have to say, you all have wonderful cages and I am soooo jealous! I will strive to have a cage like you guys have!!!

I live in Canada and I have a few questions:
Where can I buy those awesome metal pans to replace those plastic ones in the FN?
Where can I buy fleece liners for the floors?

Thanks so much.

There are two places in Canada to get the pans. Grandview Rabbitry, Brian is very quick and does excellent work or you can use SunnyMeadowCages.com

I've used both and would recommend either.

I make liners but I'm taking a break from my store. I'll be back up soon enough with more fleece items.

New Cage

So even though I have a CN, I figured no one would mind if I put the pics on here, since the FN and CN are basically twins.

I just got my CN on friday, and I have been going crazy making ledges and fleece stuff for Mikey. So here are some pics of what it looks like so far, but I still have to make some fleece covered tubes and I know I still have the plastic shelves in (need to figure out what I'm gonna do there) but Mikey doesn't chew on them...yet:crossfingers: I'll prob have them gone by the weekend...

Here is the whole cage
img1220c.jpg

img1218k.jpg

Bottom
img1219e.jpg

Mikey being cute (and I am throwing out that igloo since its plastic, but I wanted to wait til I made him his house
img1221m.jpg

Cmor where did you get that wood shelf that has like a bed in it?

lol @ my poor description

I actually made almost everything in the cage myself...for the bed, I first made it like a normal ledge shelf and then used elmers glue to add the sides, and last I just made a little pillow to put inside...it was pretty simple :))

Yeah, sorry about the big pictures, I forgot to resize them. And I like to see if I can build things myself before spending money on already made items...I'm just lazy and hate shipping costs;)

It is definitely on my mind, but since I just got the new cage ($), I have to wait a bit before I can buy him a chinspin, since I am a college student and my money goes everywhere but my wallet...:impatient:

Back