Gus is VERY sick.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No carrier - we lent it to someone - hubby has run out to go buy another one. I know the tank isn't suitable - its lined with paper towels to monitor if he is urinating...I know about keeping him from overheating - the vet actually suggest I COVER him in a cardboard box (removing him from his cage) and covering it completely with a towel...um NO ventilation - I'm worried she wasn't 100% sure either....and I wlil be calling the vet that Monika recommended in the AM. The vet only gave us critical care to bring home with us.

No ventilation, not to mention chewing out. Glad to hear the hubby went out to get a carrier. Good luck with this little guy.

Omg good luck with him. I am praying he is ok

Hoping the best for Gus! I would insist on the Reglan and the Propulsid at your next visit (or call the one you've seen already and insist that you need it).

<sigh> I just gave him his 2nd feeding of critical care. 4-6 hours - is that really enough for him? He's just resting (mostly sleeping) in his crate.

What are Reglan and Propulsid for? The vet said he isn't constipated.

I would feed him at least 20ml every 4 hours, if you can.

Reglan and propulsid keep the GI tract moving. That's so he doesn't go into G.I stasis.

<sigh> I just gave him his 2nd feeding of critical care. 4-6 hours - is that really enough for him? He's just resting (mostly sleeping) in his crate.

What are Reglan and Propulsid for? The vet said he isn't constipated.
Reglan and Propulsid help the gut move. If he's not a pooping machine, then he is constipated and could be heading for stasis.

Get as much CC into him as you can.

Last edited:
Gentle belly massage, 5 minutes of exercise - both will help move the food through the gut.
As Menagerie has said, get as much food and fluid into him as you can - I'd go for 2 hourly and see how much you can get into him with each feed. Add in some extra water as well (carefully).
He will need seeing again first thing in the morning to get more meds to help the gut function.

Thanks for the information. I am also searching for Critical Care....the local animal hospital won't sell it to me (although the vet we saw said to explain...) - way to help someone out.

If you can't get critical care, you can grind up pellets, and mix with water. You can even add acidophilus to the mixture.

Menagerie sells it, but obviously wouldn't be able to ship it til tomorrow.If you can order it from her, she could probably overnight it, until then you could do your own makeshift formula.

Pellets and acidophilus crushed up with water...

Posted at the same time as Sug.

So I need some help until we get to the vet in the am. I just fed Gus his critical care again (he had 8cc's this time) but he is still very droopy and weak. As I held him and massaged his belly, he started to 'shiver' that's what it felt like, but it would shiver, stop, shiver, stop, right along with how he was breathing. Does anyone know what this could be? Is it a sign that he's not getting better?

The shivering is normal. He's scared and probably uncomfortable. My Chloe did that the first few times I had to handfeed her. Now she's a trooper and doesn't mind it.

We had a 4 week old baby bloat up to the point of looking like she swallowed an apple just a month ago at most ( she is 9 weeks old now and doing fabulous!) Anyway we used simethicone, A tad bit of maple syrup, and we made her move and by move I mean we got down on our hands and knees (got bad rug burns) and made her run around for 30 minutes every 2 1/2 hours. At first she shook and cried out and did not want to but after about 3 days of this her belly went down to normal , she started eating and pooping and drinking on her own. She was in stasis not constipated her belly was full of air from bad hay. I sure hope he feels better soon!

I gave simethicone and he took it and then hiccupped or something - and then it all came out. I'm sitting here crying as I type this, while my husband is at the table holding him, convinced Gus isn't going to make it. My husband keeps saying he doesn't want him to go "looking like this - his hair all dirty and matted" which is a result of everyone handling him today and me trying to feed him every few hours, while critical care runs down his face....I have tried to make him better, and I guess I just can't. Bryant wants to put him in the cage with Snickers so he isn't alone and scared and I just don't know what to do. I pray Gus makes it through the night, and that the roads aren't too bad in the morning so Bryant can take him to see Dr. Rhody.

I'm sorry I missed this! I have a vet recommendation as well.

Everhart Animal Hospital
http://www.everhartvet.com/

4005 Ritchie Hwy
Baltimore, MD 21225
(410) 355-3131

Dr. Christina Lewis
She is an awesome exotic vet, she really knows what she is talking about.

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 8:00am to 8:00pm
Friday: 8:00am to 7:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am to 5:00pm
Sunday: Emergency/Urgent Care 9:00am to 5:00pm

This is also a emergency animal hospital that treats exotics that I found for my data base in case I ever need a vet after hours. I have never been here before but they sound knowledgeable.

http://www.aavec.com/

Last edited:
Thanks, the emergency clinic - told me yesterday and today they "didn't have someone in today (or yesterday) that was familiar with chins." They are also the same place that won't sell me critical care because I am not a patient. (although Oxbow's website lists this clinic as a retailer of critical care). I will also try Everhart Hospital. I hope we aren't too late.

Don't give up on him yet! Keep feeding and let him have unlimited dust baths. That always helps when I have to feed one of mine. They feel so much better when they are clean. I would make the critical care a little thicker. That should help with it running down his cheeks. When I feed I have tons of paper towels on hand and as she spits it back out at me I dab the corners of her mouth.

This is a hand feeding video made by one of the ladies on another forum I am on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Nb_gHiCE8&feature=channel_page

and a video on bloat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxO3HDTqkNQ&feature=channel_page

Last edited:
Back