Gus is VERY sick.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gus made it through the night. He seems a bit more feisty. We all just got up, so I'm going to be contacting a vet and see how the day goes.

Thanks, I tried all of the numbers offered in an earlier post. Most are closed today (and Dr. Lathan is no longer at South Arundel). I found a "Dr. Foster" in Rockville - so that is where we are heading....packing up the kids, some DVD's and hitting the road...

Jill, I'm so sorry I didn't see this post until now. I see you are on the way to the vet in Rockville. I don't know anything about that vet, so I hope they know what they're doing. I recommend Dr. Jeff Rhody of Lakeside Vet Center in Laurel HIGHLY, if this vet doesn't work out. Here is their info:

Lakeside Veterinary Center
8693 Cherry Lane
Laurel, Maryland 20707
email: [email protected]
phone: 301.498.VETS (8387)
fax: 301.498.0816

Hoping everything works out ok. Let us know what the vet says. Fingers crossed.

I hope this vet gives you the answers you need, especially since it sounds like a bit of a drive for you. You're in my thoughts and prayers and I hope to hear some good news soon.

Okay. We're back. It was quite a drive, a bit more than an hour each way. Dr. Foster drew blood. Gus was very dehydrated and has received fluids subcutaneously (sub-q). He also received 2 injections - one of metoclopramide and also a B-12 injection (to stimulate his appetite). Dr. Foster sent us home with some critical care (about 4 ounces of it -so I wlil need to get some more - to have on hand in case anything like this ever happens again.)

I fed Gus 5cc and he's now in isolation in an old fish tank with screened lid, covered on the sides to keep it dark....I've been told to feed 3-6cc every 4-6hours and if no improvement in 24 hours - back to the vet.

Monika, Thank you for the referal to the vet in Laurel - I will be giving him a call definitely.

Continued prayers are greatly appreciated.

I'm glad you were able to get him to the vet. Please keep an eye on the temperature inside the fish tank--there is very little ventilation, and chins can overheat quickly in one.

Definitely keep up with the critical care, simethicone, and massage. They are very important in helping to stimulate movement in his belly. Also, if he will run around at all, the exercise stimulates his bowels too.

Yeah, Isolation in the fist tank isn't the best. The carrier you took him to the vet in would be better than that. Good luck with his recovery, though.

I'm glad you got him to a vet and he got subq fluids and meds. Did the vet give you meds to bring home?

I fed Gus 5cc and he's now in isolation in an old fish tank with screened lid, covered on the sides to keep it dark....I've been told to feed 3-6cc every 4-6hours and if no improvement in 24 hours - back to the vet.
Get him out of the tank and into a cage. If he's weak, make sure he doesn't have levels or a wheel. Tanks provide no ventilation and he will be prone to overheat. Unless you clean up after him, there will also be an ammonia build up which will not be good for him.

It is also good for him to move around, as that will stimulate his gut to move. There is no room to move around in a tank.

Do you have a pet carrier or something more suitable to keep Gus in for the moment?
A glass fish tank is definitely not suitable even for a short term measure.

ETA: oops posted at the same time as Meanie.

Back