Gus is VERY sick.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill of Beans

Sleeps with one eye open.
This morning we woke to find our boy Gus (4 1/2 yrs old) not himself. He was really weak and hardly moving. We called the vet and drove him in to see her immediately. He isn't pooping at all. The vet claims he has "choke" which occurs in rabbits and also horses...as well as other animals. He seemed to "perk up" on the ride down...after being seen and given lactone - she thinks he may also be constipated we started the drive home. Gus tensed up, more like a seizure...I turned around, as my husband held him while I drove...we went back in, and she gave him the lactone in the office, and watched him a little bit, and sent us on our way. She suggest we get some fresh dark greens (spinach, parsley, etc.) for him and continue to syringe give water/pediatlyte (50/50).

He's been in the cage, and has retreated into the little wooden house, occassionally coming out, to crawl under his wheel. He is still very weak and we're praying for him to turn around.

ANY advice, suggestions we would GREATLY appreciate it (as well as lots and lots of prayers)

Thanks,
Jill & Bryant

I don't have a clue what "choke" is, but it sounds like he's constipated which could mean he's bloated or has a blockage. This is very hard to bring a chin out of. Did the vet do an x-ray to check for blockage or a build up of gas?

He needs medication, massage, and he needs to have fluids injected subcu. You are never going to get enough liquid into him by syringe feeding him.
Simethicon drops (baby gas drops)
Reglan
Propulsid
Metacam
Subcu fluids
Critical care to hand feed. You have to make him eat.
Gentle but firm massage, working in circles around his tummy and down towards his rectum.

These are the things he's going to need if he's going to survive bloat.

ETA: I looked up choke, and I highly doubt that is what's wrong; however, if it is, did the vet do x-rays to come to this conclusion? You can't just "guess" at whether it's an object lodged in the throat, bloat, or a blockage. You need a full series of x-rays to be SURE of what you are treating.

Is this vet experienced with chinchillas at all?

Then you need to contact another vet, or you need to contact this vet and INSIST that he be given subcu fluids. It's your dime and it's not going to hurt him.

What are you feeding him? He needs critical care. He does NOT need fresh vegetables. What is with vets and this comment lately?

The Vet did not do an x-ray. She examined him, went out of the room (my guess to consult her computer) and returned giving us the lactone (tuna flavor - do chins really like tuna??)....after we returned she gave him the lactone and sent us on our way....

Sounds like you vet doesn't know what she is talking about. Peggy gave you great advice, so just to repeat...make sure he is getting food and fluid into his system. I would keep him on paper towels to monitor his urine and poop. Get a new vet and an x-ray...:no:

*prayers going your way*

My husband has been massaging Gus' belly - he's had 2 poops in the past 10 minutes, so I KNOW he's constipated. The poops are deformed. I have been calling vets and can't find another one who deals with chins. The one we saw today does see chins....not sure who else to contact. I had gotten our other chin (snickers) from PTChins....Pony Trail Chins....and forgive me, but did this group used to be Chins N Quills??? I was a member, of that group, and my book mark brought me here.

From what I've read in chinchilla books, choke occurs when something gets caught in a chinchilla's throat. Since they are not able to regurgitate, it remains caught in their throat, making eating and breathing uncomfortable. This does not sound like choke though, it sounds more like what Peggy said.

As far as tuna, chins are herbivores, so I don't know how they would feel about it.

....don't know of another vet...am calling all in the phone book. anyone know how to get in touch with Monica of Pony Trail Chins?

I know they are herbivores...and it only was available in tuna or beef flavor and they were out of beef at the vets. I don't have any critical care....any other suggestions?

My husband has been massaging Gus' belly - he's had 2 poops in the past 10 minutes, so I KNOW he's constipated. The poops are deformed. I have been calling vets and can't find another one who deals with chins. The one we saw today does see chins....not sure who else to contact. I had gotten our other chin (snickers) from PTChins....Pony Trail Chins....and forgive me, but did this group used to be Chins N Quills??? I was a member, of that group, and my book mark brought me here.

Yea, CNQ was shut down, so this is the new forum. Where are you located? Maybe make a post asking for peoples ideas on vets in your areas:thinking:

Her user name on here is Moon. She used to be PTChins on CnQ.

I have to agree with Tunes here. You need another vet and the treatment protocol she outlined in her first post needs to be followed.

Chins don't do tuna flavored anything. Is the lactone a gel/paste thing that's made for dogs and cats? If so, I would not be giving that to a chin. Also, introducing veggies to a sick chin is a recipe for disaster.

You either need to find a vet that is chin competent or one that will follow the directions that Tunes spelled out. Print this article on treating stasis in rabbits and give it to your vet and have them follow that. It's the only thing that will save your chin.

I've gotten your IP from your posts - suggests you are in the Baltimore area.

Baltimore area (tried and true) vets are:

Eastern Animal Hospital
6404 Eastern Ave
Baltimore MD 21224
410-633-8808
Dr. Jonathan Kaufman
www.EasternAnimalHospital.com

Dr. Zantop
Fallston Veterinary Clinic
410-877-1727
2615 Bel Air Road
Fallston, MD 21047

Dr. Laura Lathan
South Arundel Vet Hospital [5 miles south of Annapolis]
85 W. Central Ave.
Edgewater, MD 21037
410-956-2932 | 301-261-4388
Hours: Monday to Friday 7:30 AM to 7:30 PM
Saturday: 7:30 AM to 3:00 PM
http://www.southarundelvet.com

Dr. Lucy Tidd
Germantown Veterinary Hospital
19911 Father Hurley Blvd
Germantown MD 20874
Phone: 301-972-9730
Fax: 301-540-4816
E-Mail: [email protected]
http://www.germantownvet.com/gtvc/main.nsf/wp/home

Falls Road Animal Hospital
6314 Falls Road
Baltimore, MD 21209
Tel: (410) 825-9100
Open 24 hours a day 7 days a week
Small animal and exotics

ETA: And if I were a betting woman, I'd say that this so called "vet" researched "chinchilla" along with the symptoms the chin was experiencing in her "trusty computer" and it spit back out something along the lines of "chinchilla CAT" and the possible causes of those symptoms and recommended treatments for those causes. If what I suspect happened is true, then that's how this "vet" wound up suspecting choke, and giving this chin lactone. But either way, chins and lactone are NOT okay. Chinchilla CATS and lactone are.

Thanks, I am in Annapolis. South Arundel's chin vet was unavailable - that is who I first called. I was told to try Reichert animal hospital, which is where we went. I will call the ones you revommended. I read online to offer raisins (2 at most) - what do ya'll think?

**He has had 4 more poops...is this a positive thing?

Again, with bloat the last thing you need is sugar or veggies. You need Critical Care. In lieu of that, grind up your pellets super fine, and mix in some black strap mollases and water, and syringe feed that. But most vets now carry Critical Care, made by Oxbow, I would think especially in such a populated area.

ETA: Yes! Pooping is good! What is the consistency of the poop? Small, hard, squishy, large?

Poop, small, semi normal feeling, shaped weird, half pellet size and sometimes "8" shaped (if that makes sense). I am gonna go grind up some pellets now....any other ideas? I've also PM'd Moon.

Again, with bloat the last thing you need is sugar or veggies. You need Critical Care. In lieu of that, grind up your pellets super fine, and mix in some black strap mollases and water, and syringe feed that. But most vets now carry Critical Care, made by Oxbow, I would think especially in such a populated area.

ETA: Yes! Pooping is good! What is the consistency of the poop? Small, hard, squishy, large?

Keep track of the poop too. When my chins are sick I make a little poop log to log all the increase of size, decrease of poor color etc. It is also useful to show the vet how they were/are doing. Good luck!

Poop, small, semi normal feeling, shaped weird, half pellet size and sometimes "8" shaped (if that makes sense). I am gonna go grind up some pellets now....any other ideas? I've also PM'd Moon.
Add some high quality acidophillus (in the billions) to the ground up pellets. It will help the flora in the gut. Only use a drizzle of the molasses, just enough to give it some flavor. Critical Care is your best bet if you can get it. Call around to local vets to see if they carry it. If not, I do sell it and can send it out via priority mail on Monday.

Back