Cage Pictures

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carol Ann- Your cage! I am LUSTING after it! I adopted my two chins last August and they came with a pretty great set up (converted wooden wardrobe), but it isn't "good" enough for me! My husband and my father are in talks to build something new and my hubby loved your design. I must ask what is lining the inside of the bigger cage? Is it the wood? Because it looks white and very easy to clean. That is the only problem with the wood wardrobe is cleaning the insides proves to be difficult...
Its a material called melamine. A few members on here have cages made of melamine. :) Carol~Anne's is awesome though, isn't it?? :thumbsup:

Yes, my cages are melamine. I love them! It is so easy to keep clean and lasts forever! I would love to show a pic but I am unfortunately too challenged to figure out how to load a picture on here.

Melamine....THANKS A MILLION! Do you purchase it at Lowes/Home Depot or a craft supply store?

I think all the cages are amazing and after viewing I begin to think about how I can improve my cage setup! Carole-Ann's mansion for is a dream!

Bailey and Winx are in here, it's a QC with baby safe wiring (don't ask why there are two males in here, haha). [Bailey's the mosaic in the picture; the beige is Moki, this is before we switched up cagemates]. This cage now has several more shelves, an additional hammock up at the top, and some more bird perches for the chins' chewing pleasure.
baileycagelarge.jpg

Toby and Moki are in here, it's a modified Superpet cage. It looks a little different than this picture, now there are two shelves and the hammock's in a different spot, but you get the idea [that's my boy Winx in the pic]
winxcage-1.jpg

Jinx is in here. She's the only chin that never switches cages cause she's my mom's chin...
chinroom5large.JPG

Here's Fuzzy's cage. Before I got him, he broke his pelvis and it healed wrong, so I custom-made the cage with less room between shelves for him...he never changes cages either... There are more chews in here now, and a hidey house. This cage also now has a pan *happy dance*. [man, I just realized all these pictures were taken right when I got all these cages, not now when they've all been more decked-out]
chinroom8large.JPG

chinroom9large.JPG

I wish I had girls instead of boys. All the pretty pink stuff!!! Hmmm..Syd would look pretty nice with a monochromatic purple theme...and as for all the cages:

:notworthy:

Now I'm on a mission. Time for a second job. :sigh:

This is Elvis's cage.
I'm going to sew a house for him, but it seems he likes his abode even without something additional :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 354
  • El.jpg
    El.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 246
Ingread, how big is that wheel? It looks like it's only 12". If so, it's too small. If not, you still need a bigger one, cuz that's a huge chin, not to mention it should be solid-surfaced, not wire.

You can get the melamine sheets at Home Depot. I built mine based on the cage plans at spoiledchins.net You can buy them from Kindra for $5. They are great! Step by step instructions on how to build the cage.

Here is Skippy's abode!!

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 218
Here's the new FN.

Aiko and Rini are on the top level:
erkjo7.jpg

With a fleece couch, shelf, fleece cube house, fleece hammock, 2 ledges, Ryerson's water bottle and of course ceramic food bowl, I still think it's bare and hope to add more.
fa3cqo.jpg

I can almost see them saying "Alright MTV, ya'll have seen my crib, now get out"
vy4gb5.jpg

Bubbles has the bottom but I haven't snapped any pics yet.

We have just built a new cage for Elvis :dance3:
Since old one was dangerous and a wheel was too small!

He very likes his new home so do I :)

Attachments

• клетка.jpg
    клетка.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 77
Thought I should update on the latest cage project. I wanted a new bigger cage for the Grey Boys but instead decided to go with the addition instead. Basically it's a box that's attached to their wooden cage and it has a hole drilled so they can access both compartments.

I didn't want a bunch of stuff in there b/c I wanted it to be more of a place to hop and bounce around in so they could run off energy. Oscar was especially needing that type of thing b/c he hated being in the smaller cage after the split up from the White Boys.

My husband designed the wooden ledges and hazelnut branch idea and it was all made for me when I got home from work. Its slight crookedness was intentional b/c he was "going for the Dr. Seuss effect". The boys absolutely love the new addition and I often find them both up there perching on the ledges or climbing the branches.

001-8.jpg

018.jpg

017-1.jpg

It's now time to start thinking up a new cage plan for my single boy Zeke. He is in this cage at the moment but he really needs a bigger/nicer one soon that can fit a Chin Spin. I'm going to use the branch idea again in his.

008-7.jpg

Last edited:
Carole--your cage is actually the "inspiration" for much of my cage!! we LOVED the steps and the hay boxes. i hope to take some pix tonight and post them.
LOVE what you did with the top section and the branches......VERY cool.
do your chins use a litter box and/or do they pee on any of the wood? that is where i am at right now deciding if i should cover the shelves in metal or just leave them be.

The boys do not use litter boxes. The bottom floor of the White Boys' cage is divided in half with a piece of pine wood. One side is for shavings and the other side is for the Chin Spin and water bottle. In the Grey Boys' cage the whole bottom floor is filled with shavings. That cage is quite tall and somewhat narrow so the floor really isn't all that big. They also have one of Erin's swings down there with tonnes of toys on it and their water bottle and food dish too.

One of the White Boys does pee a bit on the shelf where their wooden hay box is. I think it's Feeney b/c I've had Pip for several years now and I never noticed much in the way of pee stains on the wood. I think Feeney likes to pee on the hay that gets dragged out b/c maybe he thinks it's bedding? I really don't know why he does it but I've got a 12" by 12" ceramic tile there now and it works great.

On wood stains in general, I use a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide, pour it on, let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe up and rinse. That stuff is amazing for wood stains and a whole lot more too.

Yes, you need to post pics soon!

I should probably take new pictures since I didn't clean out the cage before taking these pictures....oops. Either way, this is an update on how the boy's cage looks now.

Chula
IMG_0181-1.jpg

Buttons
IMG_0182-1.jpg

Both of them have a hanging fleece house that you can't see because of the tubes. I would move them but they are in the perfect place for optimum TV viewing. I think they would hate me if I moved them. :p

3% solution of hydrogen peroxide & marble tiles! great ideas.
thanks. this may change my thoughts about the metal covering and just leave the shelves wood. we actually have more long U shaped shelves than ledges.
i think i need to invest in a small vacuum, which i am going to start another thread on right now!

Frogs ~and~ cuddling pictures. What could possibly be better? I love it!

a travel cage

Here's our self-made version of a chin travel cage. It's not too spacy but comfortable enough - the creatures are not to spend but a couple of days in at the time, anyhow.
OdeMatkahkiss.jpg

It's as simple as a wooden frame with some net attached to it. It's put together with hinges and latches to fold up the whole thing easily in four parts: tray, roof and two pieces of walls. The floor has a thin adhesive plastic film on it to prevent pee from absorbing.
As you can see, Odelma here is searching for weak points and planning a nightly escape... :innocent:

Back