Cage Pictures

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's such a safe layout for a tall cage Tanya. I like the short shelves placement and the hammock strung in case of a fall. Good blueprint for someone who's trying to figure out how to place shelving for their cage(s).

These are some stunning cages. Once I redo mine I'll post a picture. For now I have the picture of my FN in that thread.

What great cages!! I love the fleece patterns Rach. Rubber duckies and frogs are sooo cute!

Here is Puddles' abode. I took it a couple of weeks ago so some things have been switched and swapped but you get the general idea. :)
048-2.jpg

There's that big boned gal! She's so spoiled. Where's her cupcake? I've got one of those huge rockin' chinnie chews too and it's lasting forever; lots of fun stuff on there.

There's that big boned gal! She's so spoiled. Where's her cupcake? I've got one of those huge rockin' chinnie chews too and it's lasting forever; lots of fun stuff on there.

It was in there but I had to take it out for the bed to fit in. Then I put it back in and she peed on it! So it's in the wash. :)

Doors closed:

2751696246_773f85e13e.jpg

Doors Open:

2751718478_77e0e70d22.jpg

Since these pics were taken I've added a flying saucer where the stuffed chin toy is on the bottom, I moved the hanging toy on the bottom to the top right because Aurora couldn't reach it there, and I took out the Pink tube on top because Aurora was able to get in between the 2 pieces of fabric and get up on top. Eventually I'll probably just sew it together again but I always seem to forget.

Oh! and I also added thin pieces of cardboard to the edges of the shelves so there was less poop flying out, I'm going to have to replace them soon though cause she's chewing right through them!

wow!!! all these cages are amazing!!! you guys offer me so much inspiration...tanya i love how you placed the hammock in between shelves in case of a fall...that is a great idea...i am so worried about that when i get my QC mansion....but thats a great problem solver :)

:heart: Wonderful chin homes, everyone! No wonder there's so many happy little faces enjoying their life.

Here's our cage:

Sisustus.jpg

There's no shelves except for that only one with the hay rack. The girls' heels seem to stay much more healthy with natural decorations than smooth shelves. It makes them use their feet variably.

Here is my cage as inspired by Virus's cage!
S6302523.jpg
This is where Hercules currently lives. I am either going to put him in Puck's old cage (God I miss him) which looked like this
randompicschincage001.jpg

Or build him something. I haven't decided yet. I made the cage in the first picture myself. Oh and I have added hammocks and ledges and houses to his cage since that pic. I also made him a hay hanger out of cholla logs. I just don't know if I'm ready for him to live in Puck's old cage. Oh and as many of you probably know Puck's cage went through many incarnations lol. Oh and Puck always had a wheel but for some reason I don't see it in this picture.

Last edited:
Nice work, Eric! And Hercules looks too cute! I bet he likes to spend his time high on top branch watching around. What kind of drinking system he has in his cage? I've never seen one before - unless it's one of those originally meant for small birds?

Rebecca: At the moment, there's large crabapple tree, willow and aspen branches in our cage. The hut and the shelves are of sanded pine and their "suspension bridge" is made of birch. And as suspected, apple and willow are their favorites to destroy. :)

mistywaterwoman,

I remember, before this forum was down, you had posted a website where we can get a FN for a cheaper price?

And you were giving out pointers, like if we had printed a page, we can go to Petsmart to and them to match the cheaper price.

Please post that up again!! LOL It was so helpful, esp to poor students like me.

Thanks

cage I built

This is the cage I built based on instructions I found online (please see my introductions from Clearwater, FL post). Having brought home my first chinchilla last weekend I am in total learn mode as to what works and doesn't work. I have put newspaper on the bottom as Remi (our chin) seems to like it. I put pine shavings down and he hated it. Then I made fleece liners and he wouldn't touch those either. I am slowly adding items and fun things as funds come available but its a little sparse right now. He seems to love it as he has tons of room compared to the tiny home I brought him home in.
If you have suggestions or ideas I am all ears. All the cages here have put my chins home to shame. Incredible ingenuity!

Attachments

• DSC_3896.jpg
    DSC_3896.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC_3884.jpg
    DSC_3884.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC_3887.jpg
    DSC_3887.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 376
I'll have to post pictures of my new cages once I get them built. I'm a bit ashamed of mine now, looking at all of yours!

CupcakeXO228 are those wire closet shelves? What a good idea!

Virus, The water system is an Edstrom Water Buddy. I think they are discontinuing them but when I got it, it was the most recommended water bottle for chins in the states. I had to get it lol.
Koifish, I got my ferret nation off of ebay. I don't know if petsmart does price matching or not. I think you would probably find your best deal on ebay though.

Do you have to change the fleece liners daily? Sounds like a lot of washing to me :thinking:

Back