Bear's URI

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AS long as you move the injection spots there should be no problem. I also fill the syringe the rest of the way with IV fluids to prevent the skin from sluphing off as Baytril can do that sometimes. At the height of Kings prolapse issue he was getting 9-10 injections a day plus IV fluids he did not get a single abscess or have a single injection related issue. we switched king to oral as soon as we could but it was still 3 weeks of injections as he couldn't have oral till the GI issues resolved.

I will ask about getting injectable baytril tomorrow. I am already giving him sub-Q fluids.

I am having a really hard time keeping his good nostril clear of mucous.

Bear gave me a very bad scare today. I was checking up on him and I found him lying in his cage limp with his eyes open. I rushed over to pick him up and he had stopped breathing, but I saw his eye move a tiny bit. If I wouldn't have saw his eye move, I would have thought for sure he was dead. I noticed something in his mouth..I ended up getting it out and doing the 'baby puppy shake' (what we use to get any fluid out of a puppy's lungs after they are born) to dislodge anything else. After that he gasped for air and perked right up. I thought it was a pellet but now that I look at the object more, I think it was dried up mucous.

After I got him breathing again, he perked up and even went straight to his water bottle and started drinking, and running from me when I tried to pick him back up again.

I took him to work with me and put him in the O2 tank so I could keep an eye on him and hopefully give him a boost. I have been able to keep one nostril open, and I've been putting vaseline on the scabbed over one in hopes of moistening up the scab. I also gave him a makeshift nebulizer by using Vicks and boiling water.

He still isn't seeming to be breathing much better, but at least he's not getting worse. He will try to eat on his own, and I even got him to eat half a rose hip for a bit of a boost in Vitamin C. I have found that he can take more liquid CC better than the more mushy kind.

Please continue to keep us in your thoughts. I haven't gotten much sleep because overnight I check on him every hour to be sure his nose isn't clogged.

Thanks everyone..he did fine through the night but his nose looks awful this morning. It's pretty scabbed up and has more dried mucous on it. I think I'm going to try to put some bag balm on it..hopefully the antiseptic in it will help with his raw nose and will moisturize it a bit. His activity level is still good, he was out on top of his house looking at me when I woke up this morning.

Do you guys have Karvol available?
If so it is worth putting a drop or two on a paper towel under the cage/carrier (far enough that the chin cannot get at it to chew) so that the vapours get into the cage.
This has been used successfully here in the UK & it's worth a try to see if it helps Bear's breathing.

Have they given Bear any Bisolvon to try to help with decongestion?
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Boehringer_Ingelheim_Limited/Bisolvon_Powder/-26520.html
As an aid to the treatment of respiratory disease in cattle, pigs, dogs and cats where mucus is a complicating factor.

Or Sudafed liquid (pseudoephedrine) is another decongestant used successfully with chins - it is recommended in Richardson's "Diseases of Small Domestic Rodents" & is also listed in the Exotic Animal Formulary.

Aww, stack, I'm sorry. I was hoping he would perk right up with the baytril and all the other stuff you're doing for him. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Claire, we don't have Karvol, but we have Vick's which appears to have the same ingredients (Eucalyptus, menthol and camphor). At least I have never seen the brand Karvol....

i personally use vicks and it does work. i hate the smell of bag balm but if it has antiseptic it may work better than vasoline.

the decongestant is a good idea, can you call the vet and see if they recommend??

i hope he has a better day today.

Claire- like Julie said I have not seen Karvol but I am using Vick's and it appears to be the same. I have been using it in the make shift nebulizers I have been giving, and I have a jar open by his cage.

They have not given him any decongestants- they did nebulize him with some sort of decongestant but I can not remember what the name was. The vet is supposed to be calling me today with the culture report so I will ask to see if there is anything medication wise we can give him to break up the mucous.

He has not been having as much drainage today and his nostril is managing to stay clear without me having to clean it every 30 minutes/hour.

Claire- like Julie said I have not seen Karvol but I am using Vick's and it appears to be the same. I have been using it in the make shift nebulizers I have been giving, and I have a jar open by his cage.
I have tried both & I much prefer the Karvol - it seems to have better & longer lasting effects than Vicks (I have tried both on my chins over the years). But if Vicks is working then it's all good. :high5:
If you want to try it then some pharmacy sites will ship to the US (one example here) if you can't find it online in the US.

He has not been having as much drainage today and his nostril is managing to stay clear without me having to clean it every 30 minutes/hour.
:thumbsup: That sounds a bit more positive.

I wish I could stay positive but his poor nose looks horrible.

It's so raw and bloody. I will go ahead and post this picture. It does look a bit worse than it is because I just put some bag balm on it so it is all shiny and wet from that.

You can also sort of see the scab over his left nostril..I would really like to get it off. I'd imagine there is mucous build up behind it.

*GRAPHIC PIC WARNING*
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x257/neekobandit/IMG_4737.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x257/neekobandit/IMG_4736-1.jpg

Poor Bear. You were the first thing I thought of this morning. I'm keeping you and Bear in my thoughts. I really hope he pulls through this.

Wow. That is just from a URI? I have not seen the results of that before. I am so sorry you are going thru this and poor Bear.

Wow. That is just from a URI? I have not seen the results of that before. I am so sorry you are going thru this and poor Bear.

It's from the mucous drying on his nose and me having to constantly clean it off. He also has been rubbing it. It's really irritated the skin and left it raw.

Poor Bear.

Stackie, see if the vet will send you home with nebulizing meds. I would suggest Mucamyst (acetylcysteine), also antibiotics can be nebulized like baytril, gentamycin and amekacin. Also aminophylline (helps to open up the bronchi).

Stack, I'm going to PM you the recipe my vet uses so you can discuss it with your vet. I have used it on a couple of chins with good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back