Bear's URI

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sorry Stacie. Shelly and I are keeping paws and fingers crossed for Bear. Bigs hugs from us to you.

I'll start a candle going for him. You and your poor guys... Make sure you take a little while to try to wind yourself down, get a hot shower or whatever. If you're worked up, they will be too, and you can't take care of them if you don't take care of yourself.

I've got Bear in my thoughts, Stace. You are doing EVERYTHING you possibly can for your little boy. There aren't a ton of treatment options and you're the best mommy Bear could hope for. If he has a chance of pulling through this with anyone, it's you. Good luck and keeping fingers crossed here for you! Sending virtual hugs to you...we all wish we could be there in person for you.

I agree, he is in the best hands with Stacie, she is a very experienced chin owner and if anyone can get him to pull through its her.

You and Bear are in my thoughts!

Thinking of you both, Stacie. You got Bear treated fast & that is in his favour - hopefully the treatment will start to kick in soon.

Ohh, poor Bear, I am so sorry you are going through this. We're all pulling for him over here.

Just curious, does Bear have a heart murmur? Also, have the results from the culture come back yet?

Oh Stack, you're really in my thoughts. My boys and I are hoping that Bear pulls through well and we know he will because you're such a great mommy to him :) Keep your chin up. ;)

Thanks everyone...the vet said that the heart did not sound abnormal and she didn't hear any indication of a murmur. The culture was just sent off yesterday..she said it will take 4-5 days, but we may have results by Monday.

He's a bit more active and he surprisingly willingly took the baytril.

How is Bear doing now, Stace? I keep checking for updates. Make sure you get some rest yourself though too...even if you just sleep next to his carrier or cage. Still sending hugs and hoping he pulls through for you.

I have his cage on my bed next to me. He's sleeping now, his breathing seems to have eased a bit but you can still tell it's labored. I tried to nebulize and clean his nose up a bit about an hour ago, it seemed to have helped a bit.

keep strong stace.
let bear know that we're all pulling for him. i think just talking to him will help calm him a bit (but im sure youve been talking to him forever!).

Not much improvement. It seems like his left nostril is scabbed over..I've tried sitting in the bathroom with him while it was steamed up and applying a warm compress to try to moisten it up, but I just can't get it off. I'm afraid to irritate his nose anymore because now it will bleed anytime I touch it. I would really like to get it off though because I'm sure it would really help his breathing. It's just really painful for him and stresses him out, which in turnn makes his breathing more labored.

He is attempting to eat on his own, he will nibble on his hay. He refuses the CC from me and I have to give it slowly because he mostly breaths through his mouth..so when it's full of CC, he can barely breath.

However he is still active, not as much as usual but is by no means lethargic. He will hop around and explore when I have him out.

Baytril is also a pain to give to him but that's to be expected..it tastes like vomit.

Abigail's nose also had scabbed over on one nostril so I know you're pain on that one Stacie. I didn't notice an issue with Abigail and the baytril because I mixed it with banana baby food and she ate it for me no issues. Maybe you can bribe him with a shreddie or rose hip afterward!

I also mixed Baytril with banana baby food for Buttons. I used the pills though. I crushed them and mixed them with the yummy stuff. I also chased it with a dropper of baby gas drops. I'm not saying you should use banana. I'm just saying I had good luck with it. I focused more on getting the baytril in him more than it being "bad" for him. To me it wasn't enough to do any damage (one cc syringe was used for the mixture).

Stack - give the Baytril by injection. If he's already having a hard time breathing and you're having a hard time getting the CC into him, it will just aggravate him more shoving the syringe in. Cut the Baytril with saline and give it to him by injection.

It will also get into his system a lot faster that way and maybe do a better job.

Man, you're having a heck of a time. Hang in there!

Stack - give the Baytril by injection
You can only give so many injections of antibiotics. I've never done it to a chin, but the max on horses/cattle is generally considered 8 - two in each side of the neck and rump over 4 days. Even then they abscess and cause lesions. Baytril may be different, but chins don't have as wide of injection points - and still get the same size of needle.

If you continue to take it slow he'll learn the pattern and breathe around it. Good luck!

That's why you water it down Tara - You can give the entire course of Baytril with no problems as long as you water it down and rotate shoulder, hip, shoulder hip. I only ever use an insulin needle, and you can't get much smaller than that. They never flinch and never get an abscess.

Also rinse the tip of the syringe before giving in purifed water, that it what my vet told me. I also use insulin syringes and they barely react.

Best wishes being sent! I hope he recovers quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back