Bear's URI

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackie

I bite.
The vet examined him and listened to his lungs..she said she didn't hear much going on in his lungs so hopefully we caught it before it got too bad. She cleaned the dried mucous from his nose and that in turn irritated it and started to bleed. She did take a culture from the fresh mucous that came, though...so we will see what's causing this and hopefully get some answers.

He's on baytril every 12 hours and she gave me some terramycin drops to put in his eye.

If nothing changes and he doesn't seem to be getting better or is getting worse, she gave me her cell number. If nothing changes she wants him back on Monday or Tuesday.

In the mean time I am gutting all of the cages and cleaning everything with bleach....

Oh no! I hope the meds help and he gets better soon. Your poor babies.

Stack, Abigail had an URI a few years ago. She was wheezing, had mucous in the nose AND was pregnant and she came through just fine! Baytril regime and everything. Healing thoughts to super cute Bear!

:( Poor you, Stace! These guys are putting you through the ringer.

Guys, stop getting sick and giving Mom a heart attack!

Im rootin' for ya guys! Bear, Diesel, YOU, and just for good measure- all of your chins!

lets hope no one else gets sick and that speedy recoverys make these illnesses just a distant memory. hang in there stace, youre doing your best and your playchins know that.

hugssss

It sounds like you got Bear in quickly and I bet he'll be nice to you by getting better quickly. It sounds like you have a great vet! I'm so sorry so much has been going on for you and your chins, this will all be a distant memory soon!!! When you're old and senile, and your chins have lived a long and healthy life, you can laugh about this!

Thanks everyone..Bear is still energetic. It looks like he ate some of his pellets last night and I saw him munching on a bit of hay.

He fights his meds and when he gets worked up, he starts the sneezing/wheezing. If only he would take them willingly..ugh.

I also had to clean more dried mucous from his nose this morning..it once again got irritated and started bleeding. *sigh*

I got everyone's cages gutted last night and all of the wood has been wiped down with bleach. Liners were all washed in bleach as well. I sat it all out in the sun this morning. They had to spend the night in carriers which did not please them at all...I also bought a new dehumidifier yesterday and an air purifier and they are both running in their room. The cages are sitting out in the sun as well...lots of confused looks from other apartment dwellers...

Just got home from another emergency trip to the vet. Bear had began wheezing and seeming gasping for air. They took him and nebulized him as well as gave him oxygen.

They decided to take x-rays as well and the x-rays showed an enlarged heart and pneumonia.

The nebulizing did not seem to help him as his left nostril keeps getting clogged with the mucous no matter what. I'm going to keep attempting to nebulize him at home.

They also gave him another shot of baytril and some fluids...and besides hospitilizing him, there wasn't much else they could do. I brought him back here, hoping he would be less stressed. When he gets stressed it makes it harder for him to breath.

Please keep my Bear in your thoughts.

I'm so sorry, Stacie. Hugging you and bear in my mind. Wish I could do it in person. :( You are still the best chinnie mom, ever. You caught this quicker than anyone would have and have done EVERYTHING in your power to help him. Give Bear kisses for me.

Awww.....poor bear. We are all keeping you guys in our thoughts.

If he doesnt like the meds, have you tried mixing it with a little lifeline? or if he likes critical care.

I am petsitting and the Mama, Claudia has a foot infection and does not like the metacam at all, so i put a little lifeline in the syringe and now she grabs it from my hand.
I am gonna send some home with her owner. I do crush mine in a coffee blender so it fits thru the small syringe. just a thought.

I've got Bear in my thoughts, Stace. You are doing EVERYTHING you possibly can for your little boy. There aren't a ton of treatment options and you're the best mommy Bear could hope for. If he has a chance of pulling through this with anyone, it's you. Good luck and keeping fingers crossed here for you! Sending virtual hugs to you...we all wish we could be there in person for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back