Zim's seizure scare

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leni

Hardcore Fleece Addict
Hi guys, some of you I spoke with in chat last night about what happened to Zim. Last night around 6pm my husband texted me saying something happened with Zim. He said he heard a loud bang coming from his cage and when he turned and looked at him he saw Zim lying on the floor like he had fallen from a ledge, and was convulsing. He said it lasted about a minute, during which he just patted him and felt helpless, he said Zim looked so terrified, I just wanted to cry. He said for a few minutes afterward he was grinding his teeth, but then he stopped.

He did take a treat (a rose hip, which is his favorite), and I told my husband to keep a close eye on him until I got home. I got home about 8 or so and picked him up and looked him all over and he seems okay. He just recently started letting us give him scritchies and he was letting me do that just fine. He was eating fine and drinking and pooping normally. No teeth grinding.

He hadn't had playtime yet because I don't let them out until I get home. The temp on the thermostat was 69. I spoke with Laurie and she just said to keep a close eye on him and watch for the teeth grinding and lethargy, etc. From reading the forums on here I know to look for that and make sure he continues to eat and drink, etc. I have been watching him most of today, and he's been sleeping and coming out to eat and jump around like usual. Still pooping, still drinking. I was understandably freaked out but so far he seems fine and I know some other members on here have had chins with seizures so that's why I asked for advice. Just wanted to update that he was ok and thanks to you guys in chat yesterday that helped me out! I'm so glad I found this forum and I will keep an eye out on my little buddy. When my husband texted me last night I was already pulling out the e-vet info I have saved on my phone haha. Hopefully it won't happen again, but I will be prepared in case it does.

:grouphug: Thanks again everyone!

Zim is still doing well. Now that he's fully awake I had to take some pictures of him getting some scritchies. I just got some of Ronda's apple wood today and he totally loves it as do my other 2 :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSCF0393.jpg
    DSCF0393.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0394.jpg
    DSCF0394.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0395.jpg
    DSCF0395.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0396.jpg
    DSCF0396.jpg