Young/healthy chin died suddenly yesterday

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrodimer

Meeka's Daddy!
I woke up yesterday and went in to feed my 3 year old chin Meeka and I knew immediately that something wasn't right. She didn't get up and run around the cage and greet me at the door like she normally does. She was laying on her side in one of her hideouts. I picked her up and she was extremely lethargic and could barely hold her head up. Right away I called my vet and left him a message. He's closed on Sundays but has met me at his office before for emergencies. I then started calling around to all the emergency vets. They all gave me pretty much the same response, "We don't see exotics but if you want to bring her in you can." About a half hour passed and by now she was having a lot of difficulty breathing. I decided I was going to take her to one of the emergency vets that's about a 30 minute drive. As I went to get up, I could feel Meeka start to take really deep/wheezy breaths and I could feel her shaking and by the time I got to the door, she was gone.

She's always been very healthy with the exception of a UTI about 2 years ago. That was treated quickly and since then she has had no health issues at all. She's been on the same food (Oxbow Essentials) and hay pretty much since I got her. She gets a wide variety of treats but I've always been careful to not over do it. Almost all of the treats I give her come from users here on the forums. I have always been very careful about the types of wood she gets and she has never had anything plastic. I had her out Saturday night and she was completely normal, bouncing around and having a great time. I keep her confined in a chin safe room when she is out and watch her the whole time so I know she didn't chew on anything she shouldn't have. I just don't understand what could have happened for her to go so suddenly. I never thought I would get so attached to a "small animal" but I really feel like I lost a best friend. :cry3:

Any idea what could have happened?

So so sorry for your loss. It is such a helpless feeling when they go this way. It is impossible for me to guess what may have caused it. Only an autopsy could help there and even then you might not get the answers.

So sorry for your loss. Chinchillas are very good at hiding illness or injury, so sometimes it's hard to notice until it's too late. It could have been any number of things, but the only way to know for sure is to have your vet do a necropsy.

without a necropsy you will not know why she passed and even then sometimes there are no answers. I am sorry for your loss

I'm so sorry for your loss. Months apart, long ago, I lost two young chins for seemingly no reason. They were fine and then each (months apart) started acting funny, seizure and died :( Never knew why. I hope you can find out why :'(

Back