Young chinchilla very ill, can find no vet to help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, that's incredible. I've been following this post, but never commented because I didn't have any advice but I had assumed he died and you were grieving and that's why we didn't hear from you. I'm very glad he is recovering. You must have worked pretty hard to get him better!

I am also suprised, chins do not gain weight that fast, the low protein and fat diet they consume does not allow rapid weight gain to happen. Those of us who have dealt with acute illness know it takes months to gain weight back. I would also like to see his picture, I am curious if his fur suffered quality from this illness, it happens with rapid weight loss and illness.

I find this truly odd and truly a miracle at the same time. I was thinking that I would like to know how you got him to gain all the weight back that fast? I have a chin who lost almost 200 grams a little over a year ago due to illness and it has taken her a long time to gain all her weight, and more, back.

Congrats...I would say that much improvement is nothing short of a miracle.....I have pulled chinchillas through some pretty bad situations but never that far that fast.....

Hi and sorry for the long break! I had some health conditions myself that made it hard to log in and explain better.

The chin is doing great. He has been having some fur issue around his eyes but he seems to be getting over it. He eats, poops, runs around and stuff. He is more active day by day.

Here's a photo:
5090204780_af72f794fe_z.jpg

and another one:
5089595951_34324c445f_z.jpg

I'm here for an update because things seem to be taking a bad turn again.
The chinchilla tilts its head when eating, chews from one side only and grinds its teeth quite often.

The last 2-3 days it's not coming out from the cage even if I keep everything open and if it does, it just picks up a place and sits there.

He's eating a lot and pooping and stuff, he's not lethargic but not really active either. I'm guessing a new tooth problem (or the old that's striking back).

Did you ever get new x-rays of his teeth? In the x-rays you got a few months ago, could you tell if his roots or teeth were elongated (if you can find a way to post them people can tell you if they think they look elongated)?

Watering of the eyes is a sign of root elongation, but since he was getting better it may have been something totally different. Maybe he got an eye infection that spread? I have no idea but from what you are saying he seems to be having pain while eating. Him eating a lot is a good sign, though and with that you know his pain isn't bad enough to deter him to eat.

Do you have a scale to weigh him and if so has he lost anything?

Also, do you know if all the abscesses cleared up?

Good luck, I hope he makes it again.

Last edited:
Agreed - start in the mouth this time - You absolutely need Xrays to determine if he has malo that could be causing these problems...I would not delay in going to the vet knowing his past experience.

Back