You Wouldn't Believe...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jseman91

I rescued another Hedgie today. I named her Kahlua. Anyways, I was giving her a foot bath to calm her nerves when I noticed a spot on her rear end. You wouldn't guess what color it was.
Ready?
BLUE!!
As if they'd taken nail polish and painted her quills. I can't imagine who would actually do this kind if thing. We've all joked about it I'm sure. But the nerve of some people. Ugh!! Poor baby :(

LOTS of breeders do that to differenciate similar hoglets in large litters actually :) some times they use dyes that will stay on for years, even, but the nail polish is the most common.
and it's normally right near their rumps

Interesting. Well I'm no expert, obvi. Lol. It just didn't seem right to me :\ she seems to be settling in nicely though, which is always good!!

I look at it like this, okay, hedgehog had 9 hoglets..... all salt and pepper.... say 3 boys and 6 girls..... how do you tell them apart after someone choses? you can't, solution? tiny bit of nail polish of different colors near their rumps, so you can guarantee people it's the baby they picked :)

Gotcha!! I've seen it done that way with reptiles as well. Good to know! It just threw me off because I was told that its a girl. I just haven't been able to check. And she's a year and a half so do you think the paint would still be on there?

Back