Yesterdays News/Corn Cob Bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchillaLoves

Dottie & Lolah's Mommy!
Yesterdays news I noticed doesnt expand. Its just soaks up urine but doesnt really get bigger. Would this be safe to use in my chinchilla cage?

Or would crushed corn cob bedding be safe? it doesnt expand at all and is all natural.

Corn is bad for chins so you don't want to use that. Honestly the best things for chins is aspen or pine shavings or fleece liners. Those are the only 2 things I use and trust to use.

Corn cob bedding can have mites if my memory is correct. If you want to use loose bedding pine shavings is best.

Well, money and prices aside.
I use aspen shavings but they are SO super messy and go everywhere and stick to everything so I was thinking maybe I could use yesterdays news cause its a heavy pellet and wouldnt be so messy.
No one really answered if it was really safe???

I'd never heard of Yesterdays News, so I looked at their website. Aside from the fact that it's marketed as cat litter, the huge red flag for me is that the website SAYS it expands when it's wet. That sounds like an impaction waiting to happen and I definitely wouldn't go that route with my guys. I use aspen as well and finally upgraded to Bass pans, which helps TREMENDOUSLY with the mess.

Back