Yellow fur under chin ): Please help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadouneko

Hi there

My chinchilla, Chester, has has dried but wet-looking yellow fur under his mouth and above his belly. He's had this for about 3-4 days. I had him on medications recently from the vet for his bottom teeth growing in a little fast. He's never had any issues like this in the four years I've had him, and I got him as a baby.

I've tried dry paper towels, and unscented baby wipes to no avail, and they aren't touching it in the least. My very recommended warm water, and possibly some very light brushing, but I'm scared because I wouldn't know how to dry him.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advanced!

Sounds like he has an infection in his mouth. My chin just got a dental and she was/still is drooling (molar spurs post). What I did was shave her fur VERY carefully. Also I used the crappiest electric clippers we had. Their skin is so thin, using regular clippers would cut it. She is very good though I handle her in medical situations often so she knows resistance is futile.
Wiping with a soft cloth and maybe sprinkling some dust on a shelf may help.
Also I heard someone mention a hair dryer on low cool setting and placed a bit away from the face, maybe even angle it so it is blowing on the side of his face.

Last edited:
Back