YAY!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toxxxic.kitten

I got some of my supplies to start making some Chin chew toys!! I'm just super excited to be getting started! I don't want to "count all my chickens before they hatch" as I still have to wait to see if my tax stuff will be accepted. And if it doesn't - I'll have a bunch of stuff to make toys for my own 5 Chinnies. Anyways, I was curious about you all's opinions (being possible future customers) on what kind of chew toys you'd like to see available? One future toy I will have available would be the ABC wood blocks to be able to customize it to have your Chinny's (or other pet's) name spelled out. I see a lot when wood blocks are used that they are just various letters.

Also, which would you prefer? A Paypal checkout or having to e-mail me your order? If a Paypal checkout is more preferred...I'll have to look into how to set that up...

Well, personally my chin breaks all her hanging toys. She actually chews the links apart on the chains. So...she hasn't ever had more than a couple hanging toys and she probably won't anytime in the future. Plus, she always tries to eat those bells on the bottom. So I just take the stuff off the remaining hanging toys I have and give them to her separately. I also think she likes the fact that she can grab something and run away with it as opposed to having to stay in one place to eat something. But I know a lot of people use hanging toys.

My chin seems to like a variety of stuff. Seems the more I give her of one thing, the less she likes it. But wait a week or two and she'll love it again. She probably knows I have different chewies and is biding her time so she can make herself a smorgasbord. So I like the toys that have more than one or two different things on them (or for me--I like buying variety packs). Favorites seem to be wood (she'll give a good try to any kind at the least)--I guess pine, pecan and apple would be her favorite (but since I buy variety packs I often don't know what kind of wood I'm giving her to figure out what kinds she likes), loofah, those cardboard rings and bamboo finger trap things.

Personally, I guess I would prefer not to have to email an order but in reality it's not a big deal to me. It's just paypal adds your total up so I can add every single thing I want to my cart, see the total and gradually take away things I don't want as much or need until my total is reasonable (because it never is when I add all the things I'd like in there!!). Usually I type out an order that I have to email in a word or excel document and add it up there to see if I need to take anything out of the order. Plus, paypal calculates shipping so I know how much that will be and can adjust my order accordingly also. So if I want to buy something, it's a small consideration whether the person takes paypal or not. If I want it from them, I'll order it whatever way I can though.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input caiti! I appreciate it. Would anyone else like to add their input on stuff their Chinny(s) prefer?

I think one with a variety of different kind of woods could be useful. I'm still figuring out what my boys like so that'd be a nice start and help me figure out what to get more of. You could even get creative with the name like C.H.A.W. chews and string them as Cholla, Hazelnut, Apple, Willow etc, and then I'd be able to remember which wood is which. Just a suggestion. Oh, and my boys sometimes go back and forth between what they're interested, so something with hard blocks and soft balsa pieces and pumice/lava would be good to to have different textures for them.

I've ordered a BUNCH of stuff these past two weeks and waiting for everything to come in. I'll have to find a good place to order pumice/lava bites in bulk. About the only wood currently that I have is Apple. It seems to be a common favorite. I also plan to have a ton of Dogwood as well. I'll look into stocking more varieties of wood.

Thanks for your input. :))

no matter where i order from, i like to feel confident knowing that all the stuff prepared is safe for my chins. i dont mind pm'ing or email'ing my order & then going thru paypal.
i would also want to hear reviews from other members. to make sure what i am ordering is from someone reputable and trustworthy. as for products, as long as they are safe and my chins like them, i dont really care if they are pretty or not or they spell their name or whatever, i just want them to enjoy them.

not that you are not all of those things, but that is what i look for.

ps--pretty much all of my chins LOVE those lava things!

I have to start somewhere. But, I assure that all my toys/products will be Chinny safe as I use everything I've ordered for my own Chinnies. I'm going by the rule that any wood that is safe for Birds then it is safe for Chinnies. I've also looked at the safe woods listed here on the forum and have it saved in case I ever wonder what is safe and isn't. If the wood isn't on the list then I'll be sure to ask here first. The Apple wood I currently have I had ordered from Ronda here on the forum. So, that's for sure to be safe. :))

I know some people may not care about the spelling of their Chin's names or colors or anything, but I thought I would just add that to my store to try and be unique. I just want to offer a lot of variety if I can to please customers.

I will definitely look into getting some lava bits & chews. :D

One thing I really liked that someone did in the Classifides recently is make a bundle deal with big hanging chew toys. Buying a single toy was like $5.50 or something but if you bought 4 they were only $20 altogether. I don't know but buying one hanging chew toy at a time can be pretty expensive considering I have 6 cages to fill (becuase I can't just give 3 cages new toys and not the other 3 haha) so that was really nice. I guess I should add that was the first time I bought any hanging chew toys because I thought it was such a good idea/deal.

That is true for those who buy chew toys for their 20+ Chinchillas. I'm sure I can come up with a few bundle deals for those who have more than one or two Chinchillas.

I especially like it when toys have multipule things on them like different kind of wood with pumice or other things like that because my chins get so bored so quick they need new stuff to try out all the time.

Back