Yawning

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsyBitsy

I know chins yawn like any other animal but was wondering if anyone had a chin who yawns excessively. I know yawning excessively in people is a sign of MS and or brain damage and yawning in general is due to oxygen and Carbon dioxide balancing levels.
I have a new 6 month old here who was recently checked by an exotic vet and got a clear bill of health. However he yawns more then the usual chinchilla. I am assuming its due to stress but is it possible its a sign of something else? He is not friendly or socialized at all yet and recently taken away from his mom after they were both dumped at a kill pound. So he is probably more stressed then your average new chin. I do not try to hold him or chase him. I offer him a treat and he will come take it from me. I will hold my hand steady and not move and he will come over slowly and sniff me. I do not attempt to go in his space though.
I guess I am not too concerned however just wondering if anyone has a brain damaged chin who yawns a lot or a regular chin who has excessive yawning and other any possible reasoning.

Um, I really wouldn't know cause I don't watch him all day but usually when I am by him he never fails to yawn at least 2-3 times.

Back