Xander is Disgusting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbertaGirl

Expert Wheel Scrubber
Now don't get me wrong - I love my little boy more than anything. But my God - he is horrifying! His front end looks like something out of Beatrix Potter, but what comes out of his back end is something out of Clive Barker! I've been working hard to keep his cage clean and to keep the odour down, but for a while now I've noticed that his cage was still stinky, even after a full cleaning. I just couldn't figure out what was going on. Then, during our last cleaning, I noticed that his igloo looked a bit weird. I picked it up, only to discover that my darling Xander has somehow learned to get up on top of his igloo and has been peeing up there! :vomit: From the looks of things, this has been going on for a while. I cleaned it off and the smell, of course, disappeared. Now that I know he likes to pee up high I can keep it under control, but honestly - why is he peeing on top of his igloo? How can such a cute little animal be so horrifying? :rofl:

hahaha... Tex selects some interesting places for his poopies too. I can figure out how he does many of them, but the one that currently has me baffled is on the ceiling of his igloo.

Does Xander have an igloo cover? Or is he managing to scale the plastic?

Amazing what these little ones can do when you're not looking, eh?

I've had two over the years that I could only describe as being "dirty hogs." They seemed to seek out ways to surprise me with the strangest cage cleaning dilemmas. Though I've never had one pee in such a place. At least now you know to check it out so it won't be yucky anymore.

It can be quite difficult sometimes to figure out just how they do some of the things they do. I guess this is one of those things that makes them such interesting animals to be around.

smhufflepuff, he climbs the plastic! I'm not even sure how he does it. Despite his dirty habits, he is an adorable little boy pog and I wouldn't trade him for anything. :heart3:

Our new cleaning routine is that everything gets completely submerged, soaped, and scrubbed whether I think he's touched it or not. So far, so good!

I have had messy hogs in the past, but the odor was never too bad... it just looked bad. Sometimes a unusually strong odor can be a diet issue. I have noticed some cat food brands cause odor issues. But I am glad to know you love your little piggy anyway :).

Yes, I adore him, despite his disgustingness! :hilarious: But that's a good point - maybe I will try changing up his mix to see if it's one of his kibbles that's causing the excessive stinkiness. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back