Wow, that was embarrassing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maia

Forever Weird
Last night, the bf Derek was reaching into the cage to give Sebastian some scratches. Sebastian has bitten him before but he always forgives and tries again to "win him over" which I don't think is going to work. So last night when he was talking gently and petting/scratching Sebastian, Sebastian decided it was an appropriate time to bite. Hard. He latched onto Derek's hand like a snapping turtle, and when Derek pulled away he still didn't let go. Derek, in panic, lightly shook his hand and Sebastian dropped (only about 2 feet or so) onto the floor where I scooped him up. I was horrified and laughing at the same time, it was kind of a goofy spectacle. But, I am very embarrassed of my chin's behavior. Why is he usually friendly to people, but in Derek's case he acts like a dog with meat being dangled in front of it? In any case, I think that may have been the last effort Derek will make at being friends.

I'm happy neither Derek or your chin got hurt in his fall. It could have been a much worse outcome! Maybe Derek has other animals at home? Or some smell that your chin doesn't like. Sorry they don't get along, but you certainly don't want your chin dropped again. Best to keep the two of them apart.

Aww. That sucks. Jenn's right, someone could have been hurt. Maybe there is just something your chin doesn't like about Derek. Who knows, chins are finicky little creatures!! Is Derek alright? I know chins have such sharp little teeth, they could do some damage..

Glad everyone is okay.

We have a little biter in our group too. Bowie Monster earned his nickname when he started biting us. He has bitten both me and my BF several times each. We find that a lot of things contribute to the behavior. He will usually display signs of agitation in the cage before, so when he's acting like that we have to avoid sticking our fingers in the cage. He has done the gila monster-like latch on when biting as well.

I would suggest that your BF leave the fuzzbutt alone for a few days to let him cool down, and then try giving a treat and scritches when the chin is sleepy (but not ASLEEP, you don't want to startle him awake). That might help mend fences in the future. That is pretty much the only times Bowie Monster will let us pet him and we aren't concerned about being bitten.

Thanks guys, I will take your comments into consideration. Sebastian does seem the friendliest when he's sleepy. Don't worry, he is totally fine. I think there is a reaction when something attacks you and latches on to flail and get it away. It happened to me years ago when one of my pet hermit crabs did this. Derek does have quite a good size bite with a small flap of skin missing. I made him go wash it immediately. They both just have bruised egos! I feel like the mom whose child is acting up for seemingly no reason.

i dont mean to imply anything, but animals in general can sence a certin degree of a person intentions/feelings. Maybe he not getting a good feeling from him?
Then again.. maybe its jsut for the **** of it lol. We all no chins use that excuse for half the things they do :D

Chalupa apparently doesn't like men with deep voices. There are several characteristics that a chin may dislike, and it seems to be pretty random. Maybe a good way to interact would be to have him scritch the chin, but cut it off before the chin "cuts it off" by biting. With our chinchillas, sometimes they'll give a firm bite when they're done with scritches, I just always make it a policy to end the interaction on my terms before they do it for me.

hope that helps.

Back