Wounds that make you go 'huh?'

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arf2184

Don't you just love it when you have freak injuries that show up out of nowhere? :hair:

I just got back from taking Kuiper to the vet. She has peacefully lived with Lelu for several years. Both girls are 7 years old this year and there has been no sign of fighting...no pulled fur, no chasing that I've seen, no spray marks on the cage walls (and Kuiper is a sprayer) and the chins have been snuggled up to each other or grooming each other most of the time when I'm in the room.

HOWEVER, Kuiper has a 2" t-shaped wound on the side of her head. She wouldn't let me get a good look at it so I thought it might be an abscess at first and was worried about teeth issues because of the location on her cheek. But fortunately its none of that. There was a little pocket of pus, but thats all.

The vet today was able to clean it up really well (with two people assisting...it was kind of funny watching three adults trying hold one little chinchilla still...Kuiper gave them a really hard time). He said it looks great (for a wound) and should heal just fine. She's on Albon for the next 10 days (she likes it fortunately).

The vet said it looks like she was sliced by a sharp object and *to him* it did not look to him like a wound from fighting. Well, the only sharp objects in the cage are the chins' teeth so all I can figure is that Lelu got annoyed over something, lashed out at Kuiper, and then they were done? I guess I'll never know.

On another note, this was my first visit to this vet (Luther G. McConnell DVM, Mt Spokane Veterinary Hospital). I like him a lot and will be taking chins to him from now on. He was the one to tell me that he didn't want to put her on Baytril because it can be 'a bit harsh and tastes awful'. I knew this of course, but its probably the first time a vet has done the explaining to me and not the other way around. He suggested Albon, but wasn't positive it was safe for chins. I told him it was, but he double checked anyway. I love a vet who is not afraid to say he doesn't know everything and has to look some things up. (and he's kind of cute too) :thumbsup:

Best $83 I've spent in a while.

(He'll be our bird vet too for our newly 'inherited' cockatiel.)

Haha Alison has a crush on Dr Luther!!! I've used him too, he takes a second to Dr Sievers, but still a great vet! Glad it wasn't anything serious!

Latest posts

Back