Would you take them in?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokorobosoi

Well I was browsing a certain listing site and there are a pair of Chins on it in central nj. A male and a female in a plastic cage.

I am up to four chins, in three cages. I quite honestly don't have the money time or space for more, much less possible kits. And 150 is... Well... I'm sitting here adding up a dcn, more of everything a chin needs times two.

But then I wonder about them going to someone who doesn't know what they are in for. And they used the cutest saddest please take us home picture ever.

I think I'm just looking for reassurance that I don't have to save them. Cause who is gonna save me??

On a side note, depression sucks. It makes me awful at house work, and at the same time gives me the maternal instincts of a bear. Not sure that's how it's supposed to work, but that's me. Can someone remind me why I don't want to take in these chins?

If you don't have the money for vet bills, don't rescue. If you can't take heartbreak, don't rescue. Lavish more love on those you have. I will be brutally honest with you, hindsight shows me I should not have got involved with rescue, what I put into it in 13 years and what I got out of it I am deep in the red, both emotionally and monetarily.

Last edited:
If you can't afford more chins, financially or have the room for more then you will create a self fulfilling prophecy of them going to someone that can't give them a proper life. It's much better to give the chins you already have a good life rather then trying to spread yourself too thin and giving them all, at best, an ok life. You didn't create the problems (wrong cage type, pairing a male and female, etc) and you can't take in every chin in need, even actual chinchilla rescues commonly have the turn down chins due to over crowding. If you save even one more then you can handle then you start down a slippery slope, if you take one, what about one more, then one more, then one more... you can't save them all. Also the same not knowing if they are going to a knowledgeable person can be said about pet store animals too.

You could suggest to the person to turn over the chins to a rescue if possible, and if they are willing to go that route help them find a rescue. Or do what you are already kind of doing, spread the word on chinchilla forums that there are chins in need. With any luck someone will read the post and might be able to help the chins.

Whew. Thank you guys I needed some tough love. I've been so emotional I almost dive headfirst down that slippery slope. If anyone is in jersey and interested I can pass the info along, but I'm full to the rafters and can't handle more.

I know how you feel!! We all come across pets in need and it's hard not to think about them and wonder if we are doing the right thing... But there will always be pets in need, it's a never ending cycle. :( All we can do is give our pets the best care we can and feel good about what we are doing for them. :heart:

Back