Would this work? cage division.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckbert

Hello, Hope this is the right section to post in.

Long story short, Had 2 chinnies, one became ill. Separated the layers of the cage to keep them apart. Sick chinnie no longer with us :)() now we have one chin on her own in lower level of cage:

now.jpg

This is not the actual cage. just the closest thing I could find. There is no central sliding tray in ours, just a sheet of wood where we divided the two halves.

My plan is to find another chin and hopefully introduce them so they are not lonely. We have no space for a cage to go by the side of ours. The most appealing intro method we have found so far is the 'cage in cage' method. however, my boyfriend suggested this approach:

plan.jpg

Adding a hole in the corner (as you would have if the cage was all one) and then dividing the cage with something like chicken wire just before the door. This would allow individual access to each apartment, but with a 'viewing platform' for them to have a look at eachother.

This way, we could easily block the hole and have them separate if the intros don't go too well.

I would keep them like this for a while (possibly swapping them over from time to time to get the smells mixed) then introducing them properly over a series of supervised playpen sessions.

Please can i have some opinions on this?

Thank you muchly for taking the time to read :)

This might be okay as long as they're only able to get to the viewing platform while you or someone else is at home and near by watching them.
I would hate for them to start nipping each others toes off through the wire :(

You could do something like that, but chicken wire has too large of an opening. I would find something with at least 1/2" x 1" holes AND make it a double wall with an inch in between. The reasoning for this is say you do the first (or however many) introductions this way, and one of them decides to take a bite at the other. It saves you the risk of them getting at each other if they become aggressive. You won't have to monitor them by having a double wall. Its a much safer approach.

Ah yes. Double wall... gotcha. Thank you.

Yeah, I was thinking of the other metal mesh stuff you can get, but I'm not sure of the name (square grid instead of the hexagonal chicken stuff)

Still not sure if this will work in technical terms... but I'm certainly warming to the idea.

Any other opinions?

:)

Back