Would the squish method work or ??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chincolores

I have a customer that wanted to get his two males together - one is a Violet about 2 years old and the other is an Ebony at about 8-10 months. The Ebony wants no part of the Violet and grunts at him and makes the Violet loose tuffs of fur any time he comes up to say hello. Can't figure out if the Ebony is just scared or gets aggressive because the Violet keeps coming over to say hi. So my question is: Would the squish method work?? Or what might be better??

I usually put them in a neutral cage. If they don't get along I use the squish method by putting vanilla on the nose. I always give them a speech they better get along or else they will be pelted. I'm only kidding on the pelting but they don't know that.

He can start with putting cages next to each other at about 2 inches apart.
The part of the cages that are close to each other, should be identical in both cages. Ex. ledge next to each other.

He can then observe how they react to each other, when the bikering stops, he can get the cages a little closer and closer over the weeks. He can see how they react with each other. Over time if they start sleeping on the ledges close to each other. That is a good sign.

The key is to be patient... I don,t think it is any better to pressure creatures to like each other.

I don't use runs for my chinchillas and this is how I work with my animals, knock on wood, I have not had issues.

Actually the only issue I have had was one female who could not stand any male other than the one she is with now. So they are together forever!!! ;)

Last edited:
Back