would like some opinions please!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schaefera

I just ordered a critter nation double cage for my two chins (super excited). Anyways, I've done a lot of reading on the forum and looked at pictures and wondered about two things:

One: Fleece liners seem to be very popular, right now i dont really use bedding just a corner litter pan with bedding in that for the chins to pea in. What are peoples opinions on the liners? If i start using them will the chins start peeing on that or will they continue using the litter pan?

Two: There are tons of different accessories and toys for the cages that i've found, but what are your chins favorites! I'd like to stay more towards home made type items or ones i can get from people selling on here, but whats popular and used by your chins?

Thanx!!

I love my liners. They do have accidents, although I think it's just Jasper being a teenager. Little toot. It washes out easily, I was mine in vinegar with a little baking soda. Mine do pretty much use only their litter pan though. If that's they're corner and they're used to it, it shouldn't change with putting the fleece in there.
My boys love Christine @ Twilight Chinchilla's stuff. She makes the most amazing houses/beds/swings/toys. All the houses and stuff are 100% customized. You tell her a theme, she creates it! We have an owl bed and Peter Pan house. Her toys are a huge hit too. Annieo and Allison at Camphor Chins is where we get our fleece and we have 0 complaints! Everything is fantastic. Brittany at Classy Chillas does awesome fleece work and makes all natural toys, we haven't bought anything from her... yet! Everyone on here though does quality work, you wouldn't go wrong with any one!!

Right now, the cage bottom is just bare plastic. (It's the only plastic in the cage and they dont chew on it) I had litter covering the whole bottom for awhile but it just became a pain to clean and it smelt a lot worse than just the litter pan. They switch between sleeping on the bottom and one of the ledges and nothing changed when i stopped using litter all over the bottom, so i dont think they really mind not having the bottom covered.

Look into getting a metal pan. They'll discover the plastic one day and ooo what fun!! Bass equipment was where I got mine, I want to say your cage is the same size as mine so their ferret pan will fit. Either that or get some fleece made pillowcase style to cover the entire pan.

Definitely recommend the bass pans and fleece liners. As for favorite items, my boys love their wheel, I have the metal flying saucer. They love their hammocks, burrow bed from camphorchins, swiggly bridge from camphorchins. And I love they hayholders I got from tabitha RDZCRanch, I'm allergic to hay and it keeps it all nice and neat in the cage. I also have wood houses and the cutest little chinchilla-size wood cars coming from nwichinchillas.com. Those are my favorites. I also have a bungalow for each cage coming from qualitymutationchinchillas.com which I'm sure will quickly become a favorite too.

Back