Would it be safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
Would it be safe to hang a fleece liner over the front of my Ferret Nation? One of my females is a sprayer and keeps spraying her cage mate throughout the night. She never fights her, just sprays. I'm not sure if its a territorial thing, or if she just wants her space. I've checked both chins for injury, checked the cage for fur, etc and shes even done it a few times when I've had the lights on, so I know for a fact they're not fighting.

Like I've said in my previous posts, I have my cage in my bedroom, roughly 2-3 feet from my bed and unfortunately moving it is not an option. In the last week, I've been sprayed in the face ATLEAST 5 times, and I'm not doing nothing but minding my business! :cry3: Everytime she sprays her cagemate, it flies right over to my bed and generally hits me in the face and gets all over my sheets! :hair:

So would it be safe to hang a fleece cover over only the front panel of the cage? My only worry is it getting too hot and them overheating, but if the other 3 sides are open, will they be okay?

i have put fleece over cages before (not completely enacasing, just on 2 sides).......one chin enjoyed the darkness and didnt bother with the fleece. the other one would not leave it alone! kept pulling in the corners and being a real bugger.
on a couple of my cages i have a piece of plexiglass that i attched to the cage with screws. i have one guy who pees on the wheel when he is on it and the pee splattes so i am putting a "splash guard" on his side. will probably attched with screw & washer since it is on the side. we own a glass company so i have easy access to plexi but i am sure you could go to any glass or autoglass company in your area and have them cut a piece to your specs. it shouldnt cost much. the stuff i have is tinted but they make a clear as well.

Most of my cages are melamine, but I do have 2 wire cages, and often thought about doing the plexi glass on the sides. I know with birds that love to fling their food all over the place, that some people hang sheets on the back wall. Just that with chins fleece would be safer since they just have to touch!

Would it be safe to hang a fleece liner over the front of my Ferret Nation? One of my females is a sprayer and keeps spraying her cage mate throughout the night. She never fights her, just sprays. I'm not sure if its a territorial thing, or if she just wants her space.

Ditto to what Michelle said, yes it's safe.

When I've witnessed spraying it's usually because the chin has either felt threatened or was being territorial. Even though they aren't fighting now, it may come down the road. If they were my animals I would take this as a sign and separate them for awhile. Maybe try reintroducing them in a few weeks or months to see if the behavior changes? Again that's just my opinion.

Yes, I don't think that would be a problem. Since many people have fleece hammocks for their chinnies, I dont think hanging some fleece over the cage would hurt. Just make sure there is still sufficient air flow

On my chins cage I have fleece on one side all the time, just to make it darker....I also think he likes that people cant see him all the time and it gives them privacy.

When I've witnessed spraying it's usually because the chin has either felt threatened or was being territorial. Even though they aren't fighting now, it may come down the road. If they were my animals I would take this as a sign and separate them for awhile. Maybe try reintroducing them in a few weeks or months to see if the behavior changes? Again that's just my opinion.

I honestly don't believe the spraying has anything to do with the other girl in the cage. I've separated them for a bit, and she sprays even when shes alone. I don't startle her or anything, usually I'm just in bed watching TV and get hit in the face with it. Theres no loud sounds and the TV is never loud, I don't know why she does it. I really think she just does it for fun? :banghead:

I honestly don't believe the spraying has anything to do with the other girl in the cage. I've separated them for a bit, and she sprays even when shes alone. I don't startle her or anything, usually I'm just in bed watching TV and get hit in the face with it. Theres no loud sounds and the TV is never loud, I don't know why she does it. I really think she just does it for fun? :banghead:

One chin to the other: "Hey watch Mom's face."
* sprays you in the face.*
:hilarious:

Sorry just had too. :neener:

I'm confused... you just contradicted yourself in your two posts....

One of my females is a sprayer and keeps spraying her cage mate throughout the night. She never fights her, just sprays.

I honestly don't believe the spraying has anything to do with the other girl in the cage. I've separated them for a bit, and she sprays even when shes alone.

If she's sparying the other chin then it has something to do with her.

I'm confused... you just contradicted yourself in your two posts....

If she's sparying the other chin then it has something to do with her.

She has sprayed the other chin once that I witnessed. But shes even spraying when shes the only one in the cage. I think the other girl may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Why did you say she keeps spraying her cage mate, then, if you've only seen her get sprayed once? Your first post clearly implies that is it happening a lot. I sincerely hope you aren't turning a blind side to the behavior just because you don't want to separate. Any sign of aggression should not be taken lightly..take it from someone who has lost not one but several beloved chins to a fight. I never had any signs that I would wake up the next morning to a mauled, dying chin. If I had any sign at all I would separate immediately.

She may also be intimidated by her cage mate...perhaps she stresses her out, makes her nervous, etc..it may be in her best interest to separate.

I know it sucks to separate and can be a pain in the butt, but it's a lot better and a lot less traumatizing to separate them then to wake up Sunday morning to your pet covered in bite wounds and blood, pay hundreds at an emergency vet to try to save him, then have him die in your lap several hours later anyway.

Anyway, as for the original question, as long as it's only one side being covered there shouldn't be any temperature or ventilation issues.

Last edited:
Why did you say she keeps spraying her cage mate, then, if you've only seen her get sprayed once? Your first post clearly implies that is it happening a lot. I sincerely hope you aren't turning a blind side to the behavior just because you don't want to separate. Any sign of aggression should not be taken lightly..take it from someone who has lost not one but several beloved chins to a fight. I never had any signs that I would wake up the next morning to a mauled, dying chin. If I had any sign at all I would separate immediately.

She may also be intimidated by her cage mate...perhaps she stresses her out, makes her nervous, etc..it may be in her best interest to separate.

I know it sucks to separate and can be a pain in the butt, but it's a lot better and a lot less traumatizing to separate them then to wake up Sunday morning to your pet covered in bite wounds and blood, pay hundreds at an emergency vet to try to save him, then have him die in your lap several hours later anyway.

Anyway, as for the original question, as long as it's only one side being covered there shouldn't be any temperature or ventilation issues.

I mean I do have an extra cage, so I will try separating her, but like I said she still sprays even when shes not in the cage.

Latest posts

Back