Would it be okay to replace loose hay with hay cubes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica Beee

Ollie<3
I've heard that some chins prefer cubed over loose hay, I was wondering if I can totally replace loose for cubed, because loose gets everywhere =3
Would my chinny become malnourished in anyway? Obviously I would still give her pellets haha.

Also, have you guys heard of Tradition Pellets by Hubbard Feeds? Is that brand of pellets any good?

Thanks! :)

If your chin likes loose hay, I would still give it. There are many chins who won't eat cubes, who prefer the loose hay. You could do a mix though. Give loose hay some days and cubes on other days.

IMO, Tradition is the best brand of chin pellets. If you can get it where you're at, I would go for it.

I offer both to my chins. Some days, a chin will prefer the cubed and other days the loose.

I agree with Tunes about the Traditions feed. If you can get it, go for it.

I give both right now because I acquired a lot of cubes. Mine seem to prefer the hay over the cubes most days and I throw a lot of them away after they knock them into their shavings and then get dust all over them.

I give both.

I tried to switch all mine over to cubes to cut back on mess. But two of them would hardly touch them. So I went back to primarily loose, and stick a cube or two in the cage as well. I keep meaning to drill holes in them for toys!

I feed both. Out of my 5 one prefers the cubed to the loose, but will eat both. It may have to do with the fact that his previous owner fed him cubed since she was highly allergic to the loose hay. I'm allergic to the loose hay too, but I put up with my allergies for my babies. It's not that bad. :))

I feed cubed alfalfa/timothy mix and for loose hay I give them timothy.

I have always heard the same as well, to mix it up and give both types, since chinnies will be picky at times and prefer one or the other.

My chinchillas loooove hay cubes. They've been on the KAYTEE "Natural Timothy Cubes" their entire lives (about 1 year), with no problems yet, according to the vet.
I see them rip up the cubes into smaller pieces with their front teeth, then put the smaller pieces in their mouths and munch for a while with their back teeth. I bought them loose hay a while ago, but it seemed they just liked to spread it around and pee on it, haha.
I know KAYTEE makes some lousy products (their breeder used to feed them that junk-filled hamster food) but their hay cubes have been a good fit for me.

Latest posts

Back