Would anyone be interested?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillybabe

I am not really sure where to post this. I recently found out I can get Oxbow Pellets at a very reasonable rate locally in a 50lb bag. I am looking into buying one but there is no way my girls could eat a 50lb bag in a decent amount of time.

I am wondering if anyone close to Champaign/Urbana in IL would want to split a bag? If not would anyone order some with shipping?

I am still looking into it but I believe they said $55 a bag which is far cheaper than I have seen anyone else selling it. I have no idea yet on how fresh it would be so would have to look into that. Wanted to ask around here first. My girls go through about 5lbs a month to a month and a half. Therefore 25lbs should last me about 6 months.

Didn't really feel this belonged in classifieds as I would like some feedback.

You could also store your half in a vittle vault. I keep 50 pounds in mine. However they come in different sizes. I have a smaller one for my cat food.

As far as the freshness of the bag. You should be able to look on the bag for the mill date. I buy Mazuri and its on the bottom of the bag. If you sell some you can post the date for potential buyers.
You might also want to post under the "WANTED" area seeing if someone wanted to share a half or sell off two quarters. I think many people have one or two chins on the forum. You can also ask the MODS to move this thread for you.

Here is the link to one of the vittles vault places to buy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DJOP2...and=622605825641075032&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Does Oxbow have a mill date when bought in larger quantities? It doesn't have a mill date on the bag when I've bought the 5lb bags.

I know that PRSC and Mazuri have their mill date stamped either on the tag at the bottom of the bag or on the seam. It's been awhile since I've seen a bag of Oxbox, but I'm fairly certain it's the same.

Lilly, I don't think they stamp the 5 pound bags. Or, I've never seen one stamped.

I used to get Oxbow's 50 lb. bags last year and sell some on the forum as well. I know on the 50 lb. bags the tag/label is sewed on the seam of the bag and the mill date is one year before the "Best By Date". Below is a pic of one of my old labels that I used to post on the forum. As you can see the Best By Date is July 21, 2012, which means this bag was milled on July 21, 2011.

fa828dba.jpg

Thanks Sandi, that is very helpful. I've yet to actually purchase a bag that's why I do not have the details. I am going to have to have the store order it for me but they said they could get it in a week if I decided to get it.

IMO I wouldn't recommend it Jenn. With pellets it doesnt help much storing them in a freezer. I know when taken in and out of the freezer condensation can form which would not be good for the pellets.

Latest posts

Back