Worried

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickn3ro

Chinny Pal
I Got Evie a week ago and Im worried shes not drinking enough water I give her fresh food and water. she doesnt seem to eat much either I keep her treats to a minimum and she still wants to pick a fight with me(thats what I call it)

How much is she drinking a day? Is her pooping normal and a lot of it? You should mark the water bottle to get a good idea and make sure the water bottle is working. What do you feed? I would not offer treats right now if she's not eating too much on her own. Just fresh quality pellets and lots of fresh hay and filtered water. How is her energy level?

How old is Evie? Is she still a young chinchilla? Chinchillas don't drink as much water as a rabbit or a guinea pig so if you have had experience with those in the past it will be different with a chinchilla. They should be drinking daily though. As Sandi said you need to keep a close eye on her--is she eating, drinking and pooping? If she isn't doing one or any of those things that is a very bad sign in a chinchilla. Going back to the treats you give her again how old is she? A chinchilla under 6 months should get no treats at all. When they are old enough the treats chins should get are 1/2 of a bite size plain shredded wheat, a pinch (small amount) of old fashioned cooking oats, a plain cheerio, dried whole or crushed rosehips. A small amount of plain uncooked pasta is ok occassionally.

If you notice Evie not pooping please get her to the vet ASAP. Mark her water bottle with a marker to check the level of water to see that it is going down, if it isn't get her to the vet ASAP.

Touch (tap) the nozzle to see if water is coming out. You can cut a raisin in half and rub it on the bottom of the nozzle, sometimes that works. But don't feed the raisins.

shes just testing me I think cause today I came in and she had a lot of water drank shes about 9 months old Im just trying to help her relax I wish shed let me pet her :(

Give her time, she is still adjusting to the changes and getting to know you. You can sit by the cage and talk to her. You can also put your hand in the cage and just let her check you out on her terms.

I did my research now what can I do to get her to not bite me I did my hand in the cage also is it a wise investment to get her a ball

If by "ball" you mean a run-around ball like you would get for a hamster then the answer is a big NO. Many users refer to them as "death-balls" because a chinchilla can overheat and die when allowed to run around in one.

I did my research now what can I do to get her to not bite me I did my hand in the cage also is it a wise investment to get her a ball

I suggest you read all the FAQ's on this forum. Absolutely no runaround balls that you put your chin in. You can give her playtime in a bathroom but make sure you take anything out that she could harm herself on. You also need to be there with her at ALL times. Chins should never be left unsupervised when outside of their cage. You can also purchase a playpen, just search in the housing section of the forum to see what other use as playpens.

Funny the Pet store told me me to get a ball which is very weird Im working on chin proofing the room for her

Funny the Pet store told me me to get a ball which is very weird Im working on chin proofing the room for her

There's a lot of things the pet store will tell you is good for chins, that is because they want to SELL you their items whether it's good or bad for the chins, most of the time they just don't know any better. Save your money and as I've mentioned, please take the time to read the FAQ's, there is a wealth of knowledge in them.

I fully agree with Sandi - pet store people know nothing about the proper care of chins. They will sell you anything. Did you know that most of the pet store pellets (chow) is junk?? Please read the FAGs here

Chins are not like rabbits and guinea pigs they do not like to be held or pet. While you'll find some people with chinchillas on the forum who allow themselves to be pet and held it is not the norm. She is 9 months old but you have not had her very long at all. Chinchillas are prey animals--that means they are used to being hunted and eaten by other animals. They are skittish of humans because of this. Evie does not know you love her and want to take care of her. When you try to pet her she thinks she is going to be taken and eaten. Patience is the key with getting your animal to accept you. Again while you might hear some owners say their chin opened up to them immediately this is not the norm. It may take a full year for her to understand your relationship and that you wish her no harm.

The more time you spend with her beside the cage talking gently to her the more she will be accustomed to you and understand you are not a threat to her.

If you have only had her for a couple months there is not need to be taking her out and doing playtime with her. Give her time to adjust to her surroundings and you before you even consider something like this

Back