Worried about 'Tater

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torsornin

Nothing I can really put my finger too

I noticed she has lost more quills recently - Not noticeable on her - but I am finding them more often.

She is waaaayy grumpy - she used to be way more cuddly and friendly now it seems as if she really isnt enjoying attention at all :(

Her cage habits have changed - she used to sleep in this little box I got her - with special little blankies and stuff - now she tears her cage apart and sleeps UNDER her cage liner.

There MIGHT but I am not 100% sure have been a small amount of blood on (on not in) her stool yesterday - but I couldnt tell for sure

I think she is sleeping more and not running on her wheel as much as she used to - (or perhaps I am totally sleeping through it) but it used to pleasantly wake me up and I would hear her scurry on her wheel and I would doze back off.

food hasnt changed - she still has free choice of food and water - water changed at least daily - more often if she is messier.

Oh I believe she is 9-10 months old - if that might have anything to do with it

First off the top of my head is temperature. Do you have air conditioning on? It may be too cool for her. Air conditioned air feels much cooler than heated air at the same temperature. Usually, an air conditioner needs to be set a few degrees warmer or it can be too cool for them.

At 9-10 months old there is a possibility she is going through a year quilling. Some hedgehogs do quill at around a year, but not all. I have yet to find personality differences in that quilling but it is possible. Also, some do loose quills and fur in hot weather.

Sleeping under the liner is really not so much of a concern. Some of mine change sleeping habits frequently.

Is she eating just as much kibble as ever?

well she is defiantly running on her wheel - I found poop every wear yesterday morning. *big sigh* I do keep her in the warmest room in my house - my bedroom - I have the house temp set at 69-74 degrees depending on the day - but my room is ALWAYS warmer than the temp. do you think the temp is OK? Wonder if I should get a heater lamp/thing for her?

I have been keeping an even sharper eye on her kibble - and she does seem to be eating OK and the same amount give or take - Maybe she was just off for a few days???

Will continue to keep a sharp eye on her and call the vet if needed thanks

Back